SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ylmzm

Insulating exterior walls with rigid foam

ylmzm
9 years ago

We live in Silicon Valley, where the climate is moderate. Winter temperatures are around 38-40F in the night, sometimes drop down to 32F, but only for a few days. Rarely below freezing temperature. For a few weeks in the summer, it gets hot (85+ F). Humidity is not a problem.

We are in the process of changing all exterior doors and windows. Most of the windows will be resized (will be taller). The exterior walls have no insulation. I want to use this chance to add insulation to exterior walls. I will remove the existing plaster walls, add insulation from inside, and cover it back with drywall. The exterior walls have 2x4 studs 16" on center, with lots of horizontal and diagonal bracing between them (I guess these braces were added for earthquake protection). So, each stud cavity is actually split into 2 or 3 sections.

I am thinking of using 2" poly-iso rigid foam board with foil face. The idea is to cut the board to tightly fit into wall cavities and then use some spray foam (GreatStuff or similar) to cover the edges. Next, before adding the 5/8" drywall, I will screw 1/2" styrofoam board on studs. Hopefully, that should provide some thermal barrier.

What insulation methods do you recommend?

Comments (2)