SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_g_young

The Case of the Missing Philodendron Roots

Hello all!

Wow, I haven't been to the GardenWeb forum since Houzz bought it...a bit bewildering, to say the least. BUT! Not as bewildering as to what happened the other day when I went to repot a heart-leaf philodendron! It's about a decade old, and seemed to do so well in an eastern indirect light part of the living room that I only repotted it a couple of times...but then I noticed that it's growth had slowed a bit for what it should be this time of year, and I thought, "Poor old thing! A repot is just what it needs." Well...I turned it over, thinking it'd be all potbound, and THERE WERE NO ROOTS! Zilch. Nada. Bupkis. The entire plant fell into my hands like a beheaded French monarch! Aaaagh.

The soil line was extremely low in the plastic pot, and actually quite loose, with a slight bit of a fine, white, sandy powder mixed in it. (Fungus? Salts?) The weird part was, the plant wasn't turning brown or dying, so how on earth was it still getting by? The only thing I can think of was that perhaps there was some sort of root rot, but that it happened so suddenly that it hadn't visibly affected the plant yet?

No taking any chances, I clipped off as many viable vines as I could (which was a considerable amount) put them in water and chucked the plastic pot into the trash, weird sandy soil, saucer, and all. Now I'm looking over at a whole planter of philos hanging over the stairwell in a similar condition and am nervous to check on them. What if they have this mysterious condition, as well?

Anyhow, I thought if anyone else had experienced this, or would like to play armchair botanical detective, it'd be fun to have some help figuring this case out.

Thanks,

L

Comments (6)