SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

My granite countertops and radiation test results

mmmm12COzone5
9 years ago

I tend to like gadgets so when I was on Amazon buying something else and a Geiger counter for $200 was suggested I read the reviews to see if it worked on granite counters. People said it did so I ordered it.

Turns out my kitchen (beige and black splotches) at .17- .22 uSv/h are normal like background.

My granite topped buffets (black with grey speckles) are normal at .17-.18.

But my bathroom counters at .30-.32 are a little higher. They are a sandy beige with medium pattern.

A single brown granite tile on the top of a portable humidifier is .22-.26.

When set on an open drawer about a foot away from the bathroom counters the reading is .18-.21.

The chair seat in front of the bathroom counter is .19-.25.

The tub which has tile is at .18.

My table in front of the computer where I'm typing this is .16-.22.

On top of my dog crate is .18.

Near the head of my bed on the side table is .16.

The guide that came with it says:

.10 is as low as it gets

.21 is pretty normal for background and depends on local geology

.42 happens occasionally and to keep an eye on it.

.83 is an alert and to stay out of the rain and unnecessary trips

1.25 risk of cancer if exposed for a year

4.17 risk of cancer if exposed for 90 days

20,000 annual limit for nuclear workers

100,000 annual limit for Fukushima workers

If anyone has done some testing and wants to share I'd be interested in the range. My husband went shopping with his brother for granite so I gave them the Geiger counter and they did report two hotter slabs at .44 and .46 but most were about .28. I'll have to go myself at some point to check it out.

I'm very pleased with both my kitchen and the buffet tops. I am considering a remodel for the bathroom as I had only refreshed it when I put the granite in and now I want a new tub. I will probably change out the granite tile on the humidifier for a porcelain tile that doesn't radiate at all.

Comments (14)