SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_weeks93

How do you Know When a Cutting has Developed

I coordinated with an extremely helpful gardenweb member to obtain some cuttings, and I think some have taken root, but I am uncertain what the best course of action is from this junction. This is my first attempt and trying to propagate roses. Previous attempts with other plants last year failed due to rot I am guessing.

First what I did:

I got the cuttings from roughly the Uplands CA area back during the last week of January around the 26th. I am in Boise ID (6a-7 -ish). Our last official frost date is usually in May, but usually the weather is quite nice much earlier than that, and this year has been quite warm. Basically, I think we are pretty much past regular cold/frost weather, but ...... yea, as soon as you guarantee it we'll get a spring blizzard.

I used a couple slightly different methods on the nearly 120 cuttings of about 8 different roses. All but about 16 were set up using the "burrito" method, wrapped in barely moist newpaper/paper towel, and set in a cool area of my house near a dark window in the hopes of keeping it in the 60's. About half were just placed directly in the paper, and the other half scraped at the base and dipped in hormone. Overall I had a pretty decent rate of callousing (most had at least some, though not as pronounced as some of the pictures from Kim (rosecreek) after the 2 weeks.

The 16 were just placed directly in potting soil next to an east window. For reference, my African violets do great in the east window and bloom most of the year, but it was a bit too shady for my orchids/hibiscus, to give an idea of the conditions.

Most of these cuttings leafed out but subsequently wilted within about 10 days of the first visual growth and I assume are dead. The exceptions (2), leafed out a single cluster, but have essentially failed to visually change in over a month. I can't see any roots through the cup, but the leaves are still soft and the stem green. It doesn't look perky but not overly droopy either.

The rest, after the 2 weeks, were placed in either clear plastic cups with holes punctured into the bottom and placed in the east exposure window for morning sun, or directly outside in a flower bed. This is the middle/end of February.

The cuttings that calloused best were put into cups (about 4-5 of each rose). About 15 have put on new growth and have maintained that growth for about a month now. The rest are starting to take on the brown look, but yet some are still putting out things that look like leaf buds.

The set I put outside, of course had some freezing and snow within a week after I planted them. Surprisingly, some have leaf buds on the stems, but are much less progressed than my 2 (2yrs) older and more established roses, so visually are behind the pampered ones indoors and the 2yr old plants in the soil.

I have tried to not mess with the plants too much other than to water occasionally (once or twice a week depending on what the soil felt like) and to look for roots once in a while due to my inability to leave them totally alone.

So now for recommendations.

If I don't see any indication of leaf budding now, being about 2 months after they first arrived, even if the stem is still green, should I assume that it isn't going to do anything?

How long will the stems support vegetative growth without growing roots? For instance, of the cuttings I see growth on that hasn't wilted away, are they likely to actually have roots even though I can't see them yet?

How much longer would you keep the ones in cups indoors before either transplanting or repotting?

Comments (5)