fortyseven_gw

Copied from the Seed Exchange, explains reason for new Houzz format

fortyseven_gw
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The story none of us were told.

kchd(7b/8a MS)February 12, 2015

~~~ THE STORY NONE OF US WERE TOLD! ~~~

This was posted by Zach on Rocky Mountain Gardening. Hopefully it helps put things in perspective.

by ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

From what I can tell, NBC was (or already had) shut down iVillage, for reasons unbeknownst to us. Had NBC not found someone willing to adopt us, this website would no longer exist. I think that is a major misconception in all of this, and it's something that should have been made clear BEFORE the big switch. Had the switch NOT happened, gardenweb would have been shut down completely. Instead of a "conform your email" message we would have gotten an "ERROR: URL invalid" message. I think a lot of people would be a bit more accommodating and understanding had this been made apparent. As it was, any information about the switch was limited and gave the sense that someone had simply offered enough money to buy gardenweb, and the powers at be said yes. Now that I (sort of) understand that this isn't the case, I feel a twinge of remorse at all my pissing and moaning. At least someone was kind enough to bring us in out of the rain, even if we don't like their decor and furnishings. Goes back to the old "beggars can't be choosers" thing. There's going to be a lot of hiccups, and bumps in the road, maybe even one to one and a half mountains that need to be surmounted, but if the past few days are any indication, the team who acquired us is dedicated to the task, at least for the time being.

Comments (3)