SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Wood look tiles in foyer and slate look in kitchen?

cindywhitall
9 years ago

I was going to replace my foyer hardwood with new hardwood. I have just read a few threads with wood look tile that looks gorgeous. Would it be weird to have 2 different types of tile meet? It would not be a wide joint, just at the doorway to the kitchen. But you do see the 2 rooms from each other. I got my wood estimate and the install seems to be much more than the $3 sf I expected. Not sure how much is shoe moulding or other transtions. I don't think we need any transitions as there are no height changes. We can do our own shoe mldg if it saves $. I have to follow up on the estimAte.

Even at $8.50 installed price per sf for the wood, it looks like tile might be cheaper (don't know install costs, but the tile itself is cheaper than the wood) I don't know if it would look weird.The porcelain tile in my kitchen still looks great after 9 years. Will the wood look tile be indestructible as well? Wood is a lot easier to remove than tile, and it can be refinished. I'd hate to have a worn out tile floor to deal with in 10 years. The idea of not having to worry about water of scratches in the foyer is very appealing.. My kitchen tiles are 18" set on the diagonal. The opening where they would touch the foyer is a typical doorway size, 36", but as I sit here in the kitchen I see both floors. I have a feeling the wood look tile would have been great all throughout, but not so sure about my situation.

Comments (2)