SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Taste, means, relativity, Rocky Mtn Hardware, bifurcated economy.

palimpsest
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

...and the high cost of minimalism, as well.

In one of my bedrooms there is going to be a full wall of closets. The concept is a full wall divided equally into four panels, no jambs, no casings. The bottom of the door starts above baseboard level and there is a header at standard door height, because in the ceiling of this closet are HVAC, and two exhaust fans from two bathrooms.

No jambs means no place for conventional hinges. Four equal panels and no hinges starts to look like "wall" and not doors, so why have conventional door knobs? A large wall that is hard to hang pictures on because it moves needs something so how about a wallpaper mural? (I have a vintage one that is the perfect size)--but this calls for very minimal door pulls. Do I want to interupt wallpaper with a typical metal HVAC grille? Not really, so it escalates.

There is really only one sort of hinge that works here and there are a few companies that make them and that's it. So the four hinge sets (they are paired and sometimes even "handed") if you are going to do it, just cost what they cost and thats almost $600. Standard door hinges would be $24, approximately.

The HVAC opening in the baseboard will be executed as slots cut in the baseboard, easy enough. The HVAC over the door, I found plaster-in or spackle-in HVAC grates, $130 each. vs. $13. Well, I only need two or three for the entire house, the rest of the openings are in the floor.

But where I really started to notice the problem was with the minimal door pulls. I wanted an edge pull, so it's basically a flat or L-shaped piece of metal, mortised into the edge of the door. Simple enough, right? Well, they are plentiful enough for cabinets, and cheap. I need something large enough for a 1-3/8 solid core door, and I want satin brass. My former go-to for this sort of thing discontinued them. Mockett makes One in brushed aluminum. I'd have no problem using one that cost $2, if it was right, though.

Rocky Mountain Hardware makes a plainish one and a ribbed one in cast bronze that's compatible with satin brass. But for years I guess I was deluded enough to think that $55 for such a thing was too expensive. I found another company who makes the perfect one, very plain, brushed brass in a variety of sizes. I had my suspicions because the online catalogue has "illustrations" that look like etchings rather than plain old photos, they have a showroom in Manhattan, that's by appointment only, and there is nary a price to be seen because it's all "to order".

It turns out that the Rocky Mountain Hardware choice which a couple of days ago was too expensive, is now a bargain at 1/2 -1/3 the price of the others--$150 for a brass plate with a couple of screw holes in it and a slight lip on one edge. I am not going to spend $1100 for hardware for four closet doors especially when the point of the hardware is that it is barely seen. The hinges are unavoidable. The edge pulls, well something will come along.

So, in this bifurcated economy, I must be a "have", since I can pay $600 for 4 pairs of hinges when necessary, but it shows that the bifurcation of our economy is much more drastic than that, and that the gulf is enormous--because in relation to much of the "haves" I really "have not so much".

If you start to put $150 pairs of hinges and $150 each for the simplest of door pulls and ten-times-the-typical price for each HVAC vent for an entire house instead of one wall, you start to get an appreciation of what some people's budgets are. It calls to mind the shock that someone felt when they found out 1) the backsplash tile they wanted was $300+ a square foot and 2) I found a picture of this tile covering an entire large room including the ceiling, and the materials cost alone must have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for that one room.

The dangerous part of this all is that for someone who is hav-ish, like me, and obsessive, like me, is that suddenly the Rocky Mountain Hardware pull, which, two days ago, was too expensive a choice, now seems like a reasonable choice put in the context of the other options. I feel like someone is doing behavior modification.

Comments (40)