SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Picture Thread: Kitchens That Won't Look Silly In 20 Years

John Liu
13 years ago

We often discuss ''will X be dated'' and ''is Y trendy'', which leads to how Z has been around since steam power and why Q and T are just ''so 2010'' which means they'll be passe in 3 months.

I am just as horrified at the prospect of having a passe kitchen as the next person - although, then at least the kitchen and the cook would match - so I read all those threads. But I have a hard time following them, because I have a hard time visualizing what the words are saying.

A picture is a thousand words. So I thought we could have a thread in which we post pictures of The Kitchens That Won't Look Silly In Twenty Years. Why twenty? Because in thirty I expect to be more concerned about my prostate than my kitchen.

It is probably hopeless to find pictures of the kitchen that will look uber-fashionable in twenty years' time. It is probably not built yet. But we can, maybe, come up with pictures of kitchens that look at least acceptable today and will look roughly as acceptable in 2030. Maybe.

I'll start with two possibilities. We never have unanimity, so please tell me why these will or won't be humiliating embarrassments of kitchens in twenty years - or maybe why they are already so. And then please post your pictures of KTWLS20.

The first is a sort of French country kitchen. It is a still grabbed from an episode of ''French Food At Home'', which is shot in an actual home kitchen - in Nova Scotia. Rustic tiles, big enameled sink, old-style faucet, lots of windows, open shelving. I don't think this kitchen is ''in style'' today, but I don't think it is terribly out of style, and I think the same will be true in twenty years. As long as we can say Vive La France, there will be French country kitchens, maybe not in France, but in Americans' imaginations.

The second is an all-stainless steel kitchen, one step removed from a commercial kitchen. Hardly anyone has anything similar in their homes, so I doubt the look will become humdrum. Commercial kitchens will be stainless steel for a long time, for sanitation and functional reasons. So I think this kitchen will be about as intriguingly peculiar for wanna-be chefs and space cadets in twenty years as it is today.

Comments (32)