SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ridgie

New to Bonsai

9 years ago

I have been reading and reading and reading. I read a fantastic beginner's tutorial from New Zealand. I have the beginning of an obsession. But, I am confused about some things. I have on order a few seeds, a Wisteria (Amethyst Falls) in a 3" container that says it's 2-3 years old, and a book 101 Essential Tips: Bonsai Book. In the beginner's guide it goes step by step on buying a juniper at the local nursery, looking at the roots, trimming, wiring and repotting. He immediately puts it into a Bonsai pot. I saw pictures people have posted about following his instructions and some of the comments say that the tree should go in the ground to mature more, so the trunks will thicken because you want the tree to look aged. Some of the things I've read said after you grow from seed or seedling you want it to mature 2 years or so before you put it in a Bonsai pot for the same reason. I'd guess a Juniper from a nursery would be about 2 years or more. I don't know. Some of the comments are that the pot is too big, but again, I've also read that you can't start with a small pot because you have to establish the plant first before you size it down. I am one that needs solid direction (except for creating the art of the Bonsai, I know that has to come from me) with specific steps and these seem to be contradictory.

So, here are my questions. The Wisteria says it's 2-3 years old already and 6-12" tall. Would it be ok to pot in a Bonsai pot and what size would be best generally? Or should I plant it in a bigger pot and let it mature more? I am considering going out into our woods and digging up a smallish Madrone (Arbutus or Pacific Madronas). I do realize this is a difficult tree to grow and may end up in epic failure, but I like to experiment. What would be a good size and a size limit (ie:nothing bigger than ...)? Same question for potting, normal pot or Bonsai pot?

I live in Oregon, near Eugene if that helps at all.

Thank you so much for your time! I have been researching for the last 6.5 hours straight, not counting the information I read last night. I am eager to start this project, but I want to do it right from the start to have a better chance at success.

Nicole

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor