SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

TPMS vehicle tire system

lucillle
9 years ago

TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, where one is alerted to a drop in tire pressure via an icon lighting up on the dashboard. A great idea, because I personally do not check my tire pressures very often. Long before you have a real problem (flat on the freeway) your system lets you know that something is wrong.

Got a nail in my tire yesterday, first the system alerted me, then I found the nail.

Walmart fixed the tire but the TPMS light would not go out, they said that coincidentally, the TPMS battery wore out.

Cost to fix (someplace else) about $100, but since all 4 tires and the spare have sensors, in reality it is a $500 fix. One can, if one is car savvy, purchase the sensors inexpensively (look up the part number for your particular vehicle) on Amazon.com and either have them done less expensively or do them oneself. The job includes introducing the new sensors to the vehicle's computer system, in some vehicles that is as easy as resetting a button.

I'm not car savvy so will probably just cough up the 500 bucks.

It would be cheaper if one could go in and just replace the batteries, but the entire sensor has to be replaced. I have heard a reasonable explanation, the battery housing has to be welded into the sensor because of constant tire movement.

Federal legislation mandated this system for vehicles produced after 2007/2008. Theoretically batteries can last up to 10 years but often real life expectancy is 5-7 years.

That means that many people who have 2007/8/9 will suddenly realize that this needs to be done right about now. So this post is sort of a public service announcement, because previous to yesterday, I had no clue that this expense was coming up.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH