SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

floor refinishing question...how long does it really take?

cindywhitall
9 years ago

I am looking at getting my floor refinished. It is 165 sf foyer. I had read it takes several days, then I read this review of a contractor I am considering.

"John did a fantastic job. The dining room,
stairs (6), and the hallway were all refinished. All were sanded down,
sealed, and 3 coats of water based polyurethane went down all in one
day. Even able to walk on the floors with socks that night.
Even sanded down and restored an area where a previous owner glued down a
hallway runner.
The only thing that prevent a five star rating was there were a few
boards, with some minor flaws, that we wish were pointed out to possible
replace."

Is it possible to complete it in one or two days if it is a small area? If so, I will consider it. 3 or 4 days won't work for me.

Also, can a floor be "spot" refinished? The floor under our area rug (about 8 x10-a large portion of the area) is like new underneath. Can a finisher do something with the outer sections and blend it in? Would that be stupid? We are likely to keep the rug down anyway, though maybe not now that the kids are grown.

I just mopped it with my Bona cleaner. While it is wet the colors seem to match a little better. The wet look sure looks better than the current look. Maybe a buff and coat will satisfy me if I leave the rug down? Where the dog is sniffing is the most faded spot. It is between the front door mat and the area rug. Some of the darkest boards in that area right before the area rug section were replaced 2-3 year ago with boards we had stored in the attic.

The other problem is, nobody wants to do small jobs, not enough $$.

Comments (3)