SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brewcat

Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS

brewcat
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice or stories of personal experience. We are finally installing an externally vented range hood. My requirements have been at least 570 CFM capacity (based on the fact that we are buying this range: http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/oven-ranges/NX58F5700WS/AA), quiet at the lowest setting, 30" wide, undercabinet mounting, compatible with a round duct of 8" diameter or less. I've really only looked exhaustively at Zephyr and Broan's options, and have narrowed those down to:

Broan QP430SS

pros, based on reviews I've read: very quiet at lowest level (stated 0.3 sones), effective, way more reviews online (which I find reassuring)

cons: according to the spec sheet, limited to 460 CFM when used with round ducting, so maybe undersized for the range I want; some people online complain of the Heat Sentry turning their fan on when they don't want it to, tough install but we're paying contractors because the hole needs to go in a brick exterior wall so that's fine

Zephyr Hurricane (AK2500)

pros: 695 CFM so definitely enough power

cons: some people don't like that it's a non-filtered model, it doesn't specifically say that the round ducting doesn't impact the CFM, sounds like the light can't be on when the fan is off (weird, right?), 2 sones at the lowest level (which is pretty high--300 something CFM), less reviews available online

So basically the Broan might not even be powerful enough to match the range, but the Zephyr at its quietest is still 2 sones. I've called around the kitchen showrooms in my area, and no one has these on display & plugged in for testing, so it seems like I'll just need to choose based on information online. Help?

Comments (7)