SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Some Serious Spines ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

These look like some serious spines! But I love their color and I've never been poked by them. Even in a small pot this variety blooms beautifully in the spring.

I've taken a more serious interest in succulents because the last few year's drought, and succulents of course includes cacti. Many of them have been passed along by Mara. Maybe she will ID the one above.

Another with serious looking spines is Grizzly bear, but while not exactly furry they aren't too pokey either.

There are three 'grizzly' plants of maybe three varieties that take all day hot reflected sun in these small pots. Plus there has never been the slightest damage from freezing temps the last three winters either. Many thanks Mara! BTW, do you think they need transplanting into larger pots?

This guy, though I love him, has more to be feared in those beautiful cinnomon glochids. They will transfer immediately to anything that touches them and I've had a run in with them a couple of times. The stickiest tape you can find is helpful in removing them.

This beauty will get me every time I get within a foot of it, or so it seems. But when it covers itself with yellow blooms in spring all is forgiven.

Happily, there is nothing to be feared from the speckled leaves of Manfreda macho mocha, a natural cross between a manfreda and an agave.

Nor from the soft leaves of Color guard yucca. Plants such a this and all the above give year round interest.

I don't know why I waited so long to use gopher plants. They are not spiny, but still bear watching out for. Being euphorbias they ooze a sticky white sap when cut that can be irritating to the skin. I'm really enjoying them and am wondering if they will they persist from year to year, (?)

I like to live dangerously myself (grin), but for those who like soft plants here's an African violet that's been blooming on my kitchen window sill for a couple of months now. What a color!

So these are some of the plants that have offered interest through the winter. What have been good for you in that respect?

Happy gardening!

Comments (11)