SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

We might replace our wood floor with new....

cindywhitall
9 years ago

I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is bruce sterling strip (white oak and
red oak mixed) in auburn. I have a love/hate relationship with the
color. Love the look, hate the dust it shows and the fine scratches.

It's past time to do something but it's only 165 sf. I have been told that
it will be around $2sf to screen and coat, but due to the small size it might be 4-500 to screen coat it. . It has several faded areas, and has lost much of its shine,
except for under the area rug where it is dark and shiny. It looks all right after I clean it with Bona wood cleaner. It is faded in areas due to sunlight, but some individual boards look
lighter too in areas further away from the sun, maybe it's just the red and white oak aging differently? The more I think about it, I don't know if any boards under the area rug are faded, so maybe its just exposure to air and normal light in some areas.

Cost to refinish it entirely would be ??? I was told $4 sf, but due to
small area there would be a minimum. It's hard around here to get
anybody out for less than $500 for a day, and refinishing even a small
area would take several days due to drying time right? This foyer has my front door and the door to the garage so it would be quite a pain for us, and very hard to keep my small dog off of.

We are considering doing a horrible thing. Taking it out and getting
new maple wood in a lighter color. I have this maple in my hallway
upstairs which has never held up to any carpet, but so far my two boys
in their 20's haven't hurt it. (Appalachian brand toffee maple). The
price would be 5.50 for just the wood, or 8.50 installed. One day, no
mess. We would also extend it to a small adjoining area and the powder
room if we replace it. THe new floor would be lighter in color so would show the dust less. (that might be bad because I might not clean it as often like I should!)

Any advice? I'm in NJ. Also, since I'm considering replacing it, is
there any product I can try on it (without sanding) that might gloss it
back up for a while? If it looks ok then maybe I would get the screen
coat done. I'm hesitant to screen it because I might still not be satisfied due to the fading. I certainly can't take off the area rug at this point unless we get it re-stained or replaced. I am considering skipping the rug (about 8 x 10) if I get the new maple floors as the floors seems pretty tough. Maybe its the more modern finish they use? I would get bigger and better entry rugs for just inside the doors. Mr sand less was suggested by a friend for refinishing. Another person noted
that a new prefinished floor finish would probably hold up longer than a
refinishing, and have a warranty.

One more question....best vacuum for hardwood? I have Kenmore progressive canister. I like it except for the occasions when I pull it and it bangs into the wall. I don't want the vacuum itself to hurt the floor, but I think the Kenmore is the best bet. I have half carpet and half hardwood in the house, maybe more carpet. Advice?

Comments (4)