SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jplee3

Concrete or Pavers

jplee3
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hey guys,

So I've started the process of having contractors come out to provide quotes on work to be done in our small yard. It's about 400~sq feet, roughly, and the tricky part is that there's no gate access to the yard (it's the bottom unit of a condo).

There is drainage (the wall isn't buried in the dirt and there is gap so water can wash under and out) and there is a 60 degree sloped hill just outside of the walls (we're the corner unit facing the street). But whatever is done inside the yard will still need to be sloped away from the unit.

We're wanting to primarily get it hardscaped and probably have a small strip of dirt, 2ft wide, exposed alongside the yard walls to plant stuff (the contractor today also said most HOA's make this a requirement anyway and that hardscaping usually cannot terminate against the yard walls).

At first we were considering pavers, and then one of the contractors was pushing for stamped concrete. But after realizing that stamped concrete and pavers can end up costing close to the same amount, and that both are pretty pricey, now I'm thinking about just having plain old gray-slab concrete installed.

The first quotes we got back from a contractor (both for stamped concrete and pavers) are both over $10k. This seems a bit high...

We honestly don't care what it looks like back there, as long as it's not all dirt and is usable/functional for lounging and entertaining guests. I'm also interested in planting a small garden of veggies and herbs where the exposed dirt patches are (I was into square foot gardening beds for a while but this got messy). Anyway, if this means concrete is the most cost-efficient solution, then so be it.

Any ideas, advice or suggestions?

Comments (16)