SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692738

Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat and bone dry environment with no problem. Azalea does not require cool temperature unlike some spring bulbs. The KEY is the transition period:

When one brings a Azalea from cool outside to indoors, the roots of Azalea appear to behave like Cyclamen in early summer - they stop absorbing water. And when the grower waters it as before, the Azalea quickly develops root rot.

I certainly did not do the research for the scientific mechanism behind but this is the observation and my explanation by guess. If you bring an Azalea inside in Autumn, pay attention to the pot. Wait until the pot is almost dry, about 3 days from the next watering. When you bring the Azalea in, do not water until the soil is almost dried out and the pot is very light, certainly the Azalea has not wilted because I notice Azalea can store some water in roots and stems. Water stingily after about 3-5 days indoors. The adjustment last only 2 weeks, then the Azalea live perfectly in dry and hot room near a heating vent.

The only requirement is when blooming, Azalea need humidity, otherwise the flowers do not form well.

In Spring, the process is not needed. The only thing is sun burn. Bring Azalea outdoors in deep shade first, after 2 weeks to 1 month, slowly move them out of shade. Eventually, yes, Azalea takes full sun no problem.

Comment