SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven

lawjedi
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I asked questions about the steam oven last month. Your responses really helped me - but it is time to truly decide & I think I need a bit more information. (here is my previous post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2812419/steam-oven-query-love-hate-why )

I know no one can make this decision for me, but a little talking it with experts can help.

I am picking out my appliances. I've narrowed it down to the Bosch Combination Steam (has a regular convection under the steam oven) and a regular Bosch Dbl Oven. I think the 800 series will meet my needs - possibly could be tempted by the perk-filled Benchmark.

I cook and bake a lot. Partly because I enjoy it, partly because it's a necessity with a family of 6. We also enjoy entertaining and I can only imagine we will entertain even more than we do now as time progresses.

I am already familiar with adding a pan under my breads and throwing some water in there to help with baking. It does make a nicer crust. :-) So, I'm sure I could continue to use that technique and even expand it to other food types.

Are there things that I could do in a steam oven that I couldn't rig up in a regular oven? I'm pretty sure I would enjoy using a steam oven - convenience, preheats faster etc... but it has one CON for ME that I'm not sure if I can work around...

Pizza night. We have homemade pizza night weekly. It is often for more than the 6 of us -- and I really want to routinely have an even larger crowd over for pizzas. My current oven is awful. It takes forever to do 2 pizzas, so I've always envisioned a double oven aiding in our pizza nights. I could have 4 - possibly 6 - pizzas in the ovens at once. If I have a steam oven combo, I am left with only 1 oven to do pizzas in. Granted, that oven will be much better than what I'm working with now. But will I regret not having a double oven for quick pizzas?

So, it comes down to this question: Do I plan for a daily luxury convenience or plan for a somewhat routine maximum usage need?

Comments (13)