SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)

crcollins1_gw
9 years ago

I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not sure we'll ever get everything done and it's certainly not staged, but here is an update to my vintage-ish-modern-ish kitchen remodel (< yes, that's a link). There are some details in the other link but feel free to ask if you have questions.

I don't have a really good wide shot of the space the way it looks now that we've been living in it for a few months. Probably because it's always looking REALLY lived in! :)

I'll try to get a couple more over the weekend and update. Thanks for looking!

Comments (32)

• lenzai
    9 years ago

Love the colors of the counter and backsplash!! Such a nice contrast with the all white trend! Looks like you used all those drawers very efficiently judging by the last pictures :)

• Related Discussions

Did Finestra ever post a reveal of her amazing kitchen?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for the kind words, but I haven't posted final reveal photos mainly because we technically aren't done! I have some corbels to go in under the hood which we can't install yet. We lost our contractor (not our Kitchen people - they were Dutchwood and they were great). Literally he has disappeared with 99% of the job done. And a job well done I might add. But some things have to be finished before Dutchwood can finish. Makes me realize that time has gotten away and we need to finish this job!
    ...See More

I think I might live in here-- pantry shelves installed reveal

Q

Comments (16)
    I was intrigued by this suggestion of shelf heights. I too am waiting and waiting for my first walk-in pantry ever....only took 50+ years! It will be so awesome to have all this wonderful storage. Post pics of your post-labelmaker project :) http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f8/e2/cb/f8e2cbc69140062aef90912fcff2422b.jpg Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Dark green in master (someone here may get his/her wish)

Q

Comments (40)
    Update of sorts. I painted the entire corner today, and I think I'm definitely going to go through with it (if my gf doesn't disapprove). It really isn't dark at night at all, and I find it relaxing in a cozy way. (It's not this yellow in real life, and I'm not even using the flash, but you can get an idea.)
    ...See More

FINAL B/S options? (will I ever get this done?)

Q

Comments (73)
    @slonewby: It's interesting you are somewhat struggling with backsplashes. I have similar colour kitchen and have been struggling with the same for about 3 weeks now. All the stone looks beautiful but you don't want marble to compete with the granite. Subway tiles it is... here in canada nearly impossible to find subway tiles the right size and colour.. i wanted 2x4 which comes in two colours and wrong shades. I am finally giving up and going with 3x6 in somewhat of a cappuccino colour. You posted this tile which should work well: Plain white is good but i wanted to give some colour to backsplash then the cabinets my cabs are sky white and granite has beige, black, yellow/orange (delicatus superba). Once my backsplash is done i will post some pics...
    ...See More
  • ck_squared
    9 years ago

That's super cool and fun! What a happy kitchen!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

The backsplash behind the stove? It's a heavy gauge sheet stainless pressed with a diamond pattern. Has held up great to spatters and cleaning. Behind counters is painted sheetrock. Sink is in the island so no water on perimeter to worry about.

• User
    9 years ago

It looks happy. Probably much nicer to work in now, too.

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

So cheerful! Thank you for sharing.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, I forgot how neat-o your counters are, and the rest of it is nifty, too! Love the color!

• iroll
    9 years ago

I love the retro-ish look, and the laminate print. Can we see a closeup of the pulls? They really give it that retro feel.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

love you kitchen. went back to the prev thread and remembered it from that. If they have that color of counter in a solid, I'd have to rethink my decision to just keep the old white laminate I have. I love the color but that little print would drive my eyeballs nuts. I had a problem with choosing flooring also. My eyes don't always agree with me.

I love that your kitchen isn't so 'usual' - must have a lot of you and your dh in it!

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I really like the sink shape! The backsplash and counter Is really cool.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

LOVE that orange-y backsplash area color!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - nice job - I was sure it was back-painted glass.

My DM would love your kitchen - she thinks I need more color!

I think your kitchen looks fun and functional.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I just love it - the orange, the aqua blue, the white, the orange. The cabinet hardware & the placement of the hardware on the pull-outs is perfect.

Great storage. Even your knives look cool!

Wonderful kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing this update. I remembered your kitchen as soon as I saw the orange :) You've come a long way with it and it looks like such a fun and friendly place for cooking and just spending time in. Really great choices that so suit your space!

• mudhouse
    9 years ago

I missed your thread back in October, and I'm so glad you have posted this one as an update. Wow, this is looking super. I love the bold orange paint, coupled with the formica. And the great light fixtures, clean lined cabinets, retro hardware...the combination is so unique, fresh, and happy. I'd love to be in this kitchen.

I read in your other thread that you liked to think this would be a kitchen that people will see and say, "I would never have the guts to do it, but it's awesome!" I would say that's a perfect summary. It is awesome.

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Love the orange backsplash...so unexpected! You've created a beautiful space - wow!!

• rockybird
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a transformation! It looks amazing! I love all of your choices. My favorite are the countertops and the island. Looking back at the original kitchen in the old thread, it now looks so open and large. It also looks like the kind of place I'd like to hang out. Great job!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Love the colors of the orange backsplash & blue countertops. The diamond backsplash brings in some good shiny to the space. A very fun white kitchen. Love your organization too! Have fun working in it!

• leavemeout
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen! Thanks for posting photos! It looks great - stylish and simple at the same time. I love the slab doors and drawer fronts, love your backsplash and counters, love your stove/backsplash/hood.

Please tell me about your solid surface Formica countertop with the integrated Blanco sink -- how is that working out? Was it hard to find a fabricator who could integrate the sink? Is either the sink or countertop hard to keep clean? How is the scratching?

I'm looking for a bulletproof countertop that requires no maintenance, and I'm sick of looking at my stainless steel sink. I can't have laminate because I want an undermount sink, but I love your laminate countertops too!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

So much love! Vintage-ish modern-ish is also the look I'm going for so I'm thrilled to see a kitchen of that style done so well.

Please tell me where you got your cabinet hardware. It's just what I want.

And as one laminate-lover to another, I'm soooo glad not to see another stone counter. We are also doing slab doors (to match the original slab cabinets in the laundry/pantry room)

I just think your finishes and colors are perfect! In fact, I was going for similar colors (turquoise and orange) until we revealed the original linoleum flooring and discovered it's in great condition so now I need to go more pale creamy yellow/green/red/black or some combination thereof. I kinda yearn for my original palette idea but I lurve the linoleum enough to make the change without complaint.

Gosh, people will probably think I'm copying you but, really, even if I was, why not? Your kitchen is so charming who wouldn't want to copy it? :)

• User
    9 years ago

I love it! In particular, I love the quilted stainless steel backsplash behind the range. Can you please provide where you got it, and how it is installed? Thanks!

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

Super cool. What an eye opener that orange backsplash is. Thanks for sharing.

• debrak_2008
    9 years ago

I love the blue liner in your silverware drawer. What cool way to add color in an unexpected spot. I would keep opening your drawer just to look at it.

• rebunky
    9 years ago

Oh wow, I love it! I immediately started singing that song "Happy" by Pherrel when I saw your kitchen. It makes me feel happy! You must be too. Thanks for sharing. Made my day. :)

• biffytreepod
    9 years ago

Love this look! It's just so fun! I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. A couple questions about your drawer accessories. Where did you get the blue liner for the drawer and the rack for the plates and bowls. I'm still in basement exile. I can't wait to start filling up my drawers in a few weeks.

• deedles (zone 4b or 5 depending on whom
    9 years ago

Yes, I remember your great counters from the other thread. The stainless behind the stove looks perfect. Love the blue and orange. Very original and unique.

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments! I'll try to answer your questions...

We really do love working in this kitchen. We never used the old tiny kitchen. We bought the house at the end of July and started demo within a week! We were in "basement exile" (as biffytreepod put it) from August until Thanksgiving.

iroll and funkycamper: The hardware came from Cool Knobs and Pulls. The BEST part was they are less than $2.00 each! Here's a link: Modern Pulls. My only caution would be because of the large horizontal surface area, they do catch dust. If you are super freaky about dust and fingerprints, you may want to get the brushed surface ones instead of shiny chrome.

desertsteph: The print on the laminate is not very noticeable from a few feet away, and most of our prep is done on the island so I don't really notice the busy-ness of it. Everything in there really does reflect our personalities. We were SO over having the next homeowner in our head every time we made a decision about something in our last house. We knew it was not a long-term house for us. This one is totally us!

leavemeout: I cannot overstate how much we love the solid surface counter and that Blanco sink. The sink is undermounted just like it would be in granite. There is a very small bead of silicone between sink and top. Both clean like a dream. The white sink does need a little Barkeeper's Friend every now and then (esp if dear hubby pours coffee in there and doesn't rinse it down), but it doesn't even require any pressure - just wipe it around and rinse. The counter has never needed more than dish soap, even for stuff like beets or berries or tea that I'd expect to stain. I'd say the countertop is developing what I would consider "patina" - there are very fine surface scratches but they do not bother me in the slightest. I prefer this so much over the granite we had in the last house.

funkycamper again: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. You steal whatever you like! I would love creamy yellow and red, actually. My heart really does yearn for red but I had a lot of it in the last house and I think my husband was over it! Orange is good!

sahmmy_gw: My contractor came up with the idea for the backsplash. I think he ordered it from a local sheet metal place. He was totally in charge of that project. LOL. It's stuck to that wall with a vengeance. If we ever want to take it down, we'll have to remove the entire wall, I think. Liquid nails! And it's framed by a very narrow stainless channel that it slid into. Kind of hard to explain but I can take a close-up picture if you would like.

biffytreepod: Funny about the blue liner. I think I have carried it from one house to the next for almost 10 years. I keep cutting it smaller to fit. I'm afraid the drawers will be its last hurrah! Unfortunately, I cannot remember where I got it originally. It is that stuff that's made like a rug pad, though, kind of an open weave foam. Definitely keeps things from sliding around. The rack for the plates and bowls came off Amazon just recently. An idea I got here on gardenweb!

Thanks again!

• Ann Orr
    5 years ago
    Great job, looks and functions really well, I love it!
  • animalsinpants
    3 years ago

Hi! I know this is old news by now, but I love your kitchen! I am also considering the formica sea glass for my kitchen, but I keep second guessing myself. I am having such a hard time finding examples of it online. I was wondering if I could pick your brain as you seem so helpful and knowledgeable. I am new to using this site and not sure how to send you a private message. I would be grateful for your insight!

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you click on my name, you should see the "message" function. Happy to help.

• Rebecca Holt
    9 months ago

Hi CrCollins1, I appreciate your post re Formica Sea Glass for your island. I was able to see you photos and you have a great kitchen. I love the orange backsplash. I hear that orange makes us hungry!! I had a question--Do you have a bar stool area/counter on your island? Also, another question {I know it was 8 years ago when you did your kitchen so you might not remember.}: Our fabricator, which by the way was hard to find for Formica solid surface, said that for our island with the bar overhang would need to have two 1/2" slabs to be strong enough to support the weight of people leaning on it etc. Is this necessary? I have seen supportive steel pieces underneath that support the solid surface. Thanks so much in advance, Becky/Nyack, NY

• crcollins1_gw
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Yes, but it was supported on both sides by cabinets. The contractor put a support under the overhang between the cabinets but I don't remember exactly what he did. It was something with wood, though, not metal. Probably wouldn't be a "Houzz-approved" method but we never had any issues.  We found a local fabricator. We were in a very populated Atlanta suburb though.  We sold this house in 2019.