SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevesdigits

Something New in the Tomato Patch

digit (ID/WA, border)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each year. I have never, ever gained a proper reward from this.

There is just too good a chance that they are a hybrid's offspring. Only once, was ripening anywhere close to those transplants that I set out each year as well. I have hardly had a chance to taste ripe tomatoes from these volunteers but understand that this was just one thing I'd have to accept from the effort, messing around with F2 offspring.

This year, I will continue the deliberate dehybridizing of a friend's saved seed from a LB. I dislike the name, not wanting my yellow beefsteak tomatoes to taste like citrus. But, there is also that patent thing that the government went along with several years ago where I'm feeling like an outlaw if'n I allow a volunteer plant to grow in my garden.

I'm calling this one General Mischief and the 2 plants I started in the greenhouse and set out last year performed really well! It was a terrible tomato season and those plants came through!

There are a number of open-pollinated varieties in my tomato patch each year. Do you have success with those? Have you seen them change from accidental cross-pollination. Do you grow some that are hybrid offspring, hoping for a worthwhile "something new?"

Steve ツ

Comments (4)