SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Batten down the hatches!

Hi all,

Well, NOAA just changed the Front Range (and a big chunk of the eastern plains and the northern mountains) from a winter storm watch to a winter storm WARNING! Up here in the Thornton area (north end of the Metro Denver area) right now they're predicting 8 - 15", and that's just thru Saturday nite! More expected on Sunday and Sunday nite! This could be an Interesting One!

Stay safe and warm, everyone! At least it's happening on a weekend when fewer people will need to be out on the roads.

Skybird

Comments (29)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

8-15" through Saturday night? I've heard that as a grand total for the whole system (Fri-Mon) not just for tomorrow... Course, just because they love us so much, they always have to add "totals could be higher for the South and West side of the metro area."

"Expect more snow in the next three weeks than we have seen all winter" said the meteorologist on the radio this afternoon. Gee, thanks for that! I really needed something to lift my spirits. Guess my monthly trek to Montrose is about to get really interesting....

Also, in other news, I-70 west of Georgetown is closed, just a heads up to anyone looking to travel in that direction.

P.s. maybe I'll be able to reply to your email done haha

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Ya know, I realize why they do it, but still - when they suddenly and without warning shut down an interstate highway, I have to wonder if the very real delay and serious disruption they cause the thousands of travelers out-weighs the risks of letting people decide themselves if they want to drive. I've somehow managed to survive years of driving mountain roads and passes in blizzards, had to do that twice already this winter. Hint: have good tires and go about 30 mph.

Anywho, down here in SW Colo, looks like the storms are pretty much going to pass us by to the north, and we're looking hard at another year of drought.

• Related Discussions

Has everyone battened down the hatches?

Q

Comments (6)
    Schoolhouse, we lost power last night and just got it back about two hours ago. Other than that, we came through unscathed. Glad you fared so well also. I amused myself as the winds blew by imagining what the new master bath might look like if the leaning tree were to fall on the house. As long as I was dreaming, I also added a walk-in closet! Ha! You are so sweet to check on me. We consider ourselves very lucky, especially when we see what happened in NJ and NY. Thanks so much and here's hoping that old lilac comes back more beautiful than ever next spring!
    ...See More

Batten down the hatches? Irene?

Q

Comments (44)
    I'm amazed at the photos and stories of the damage done in other parts of New England. Here in Eastern Massachusetts, we seemed to have had a mild experience in comparison to others. We had wind and a small amount of rain but it was pretty manageable. Two medium branches were on the ground from Maples and that was about it as far as damage. Two streets over there was a power outage that didn't reach us on Sunday during the day, so we had power all day and then lost it about midnight Sunday night for about 4 hours and that was pretty easy to tolerate. But hearing that some people in our state may have to wait until the end of the week for power to be restored, makes me feel we should prepare better next time, because that could have just as easily have been us. I would have been ready to tolerate a couple of days without power, but 5 days plus, seems like more than we would have tolerated easily. I'm glad it wasn't worse than it was. Seemed to be a lot more damage from a tropical storm than I would have expected though. Hope that everyone here is doing well and not having a lot of damage to deal with.
    ...See More

Batten down the hatches, Southern New England

Q

Comments (25)
    Oh yes, we lost power... It went off at 5:30 pm EDT Sat. night and just came back at 5:15 pm EST today, Sunday. 24 hours and 45 minutes (but who's counting). Our line goes over the river and through the woods and they always seem to save it for last. Telephone went off today too, so I couldn't get online (dialup). Temperature in the house got down to about 51 degrees by this afternooon. At least I had my pot of (cold) coffee and the Halloween candy... I went down to the beach this morning - the beach grass buffer zone repelled the waves and there's no damage to the cliff. The beach looked wonderfully smooth as if the storm had ironed it. Just one guy and two happy dogs walking on the sand. The danger zone down the beach was OK too, the water was up to the cliff, but didn't take a bite. I checked with my neighbor - the tree that came down on the property line laid a few branches on his hot tub, but it still holds water, so he's not worried. I'll get an arborist to remove the tree. Last night was hairy at the time of high tide, when the winds and waves were roaring. I was very thankful for my battery-operated radio which helped distract me from the sounds - it was dark so I couldn't see what the trees and waves were doing - all I could do was listen and hope. I jury-rigged a support system for my bent-over wisteria standard so it's upright until I figure out a better support. The good thing is that it will probably bloom beautifully next year. A storm got it last year and this spring was the best bloom it's ever had. Some people beat their wisteria with bats and savagely root prune them to force bloom - I just wait for another storm. Did I mention how nice it is to have heat in the house? I was NOT looking forward to another cold night, or morning rather, with temperatures forecast for low 30's overnight. Bed is nice and warm, but getting up in a cold room can be unpleasant. Not to mention getting dressed. I was also worried about the more tender tropical houseplants And now I can open the refrigerator and freezer without fear. Is the hurricane season over yet? Claire
    ...See More

Batten down the hatches

Q

Comments (26)
    Good gravy, I'm so glad I don't often watch the news, and wasn't reading all of this. The wind was awful here, but as everything was still in pots waiting to be planted, I just snuggled everything up against the west-facing side of the house, and let 'em fend for themselves. Several pots got blown over, but nothing too tragic--they have all gotten to be VERY good friends, as they're all mashed up next to each other so that they can't blow around/down too much. I finally was able to get some peppers planted out yesterday--got about 40 into their containers, and staked every dang one of them except for that beauty that I got from Greg at the swap; it's back up against a wall, though... Freeze? Good thing it didn't--I was completely unprepared for it. I figured: if it freezes this late in the game, then we're all in trouble! Still, if it's cold enough to "frost" but the breeze is blowing, the moisture can't settle on the plants... at least, judging by if I have to scrape my windshield in the morning!
    ...See More
  • jaliranchr
    9 years ago

We got some rain and graupel this afternoon. Surprised us! We'll take it, gladly. This is just priming us for a regular March, maybe? Just hope Ma Nature waits until afternoon so I can get the canine to the vet for his shots. Then, the dog can sulk and sleep while I read and drink cocoa.

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Love those old photos, Zach!!

We got about 9" of snow overnight here in West Westminster! Gonna be an interesting week for sure!!

Here's a pic I took this morning - the snow drifted a bit on our tiki torches. LOL!

9 years ago

Wow! What a difference a few miles makes huh? We only got about a half in here on the south west side of town! So far it hasn't started snowing again here... Yet. Supposedly the real dumping is coming later today.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a difference a few miles makes, indeed! I’m closer to Misty than you, Zach, just a few miles east, and I only got about an inch! Actually, I think that’s about what I got, but I can’t be sure because it rained before it started to snow last nite, so the first snow that fell all melted into the wet grass and on the roads, but what stuck looked like almost an inch!

It just started snowing lightly here again, and NOAA is now predicting 7–16” for here in Thornton--thru Sunday nite! I think tonite and tomorrow are going to be very interesting! I didn’t retire by “choice,” but when we have snow it’s really nice to be able to just stay home and watch it! Over the years I made many snowy, icy drives out to the airport, and then had to try to lug my suitcase thru the snow in the parking lot to get to the bus to the terminal! Never again!

I love your stylized tiki torches, Misty!

Skybird

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

David, I'm sorry to hear it! I've been hoping your drought would turn around.

Love the pics, Zach!

I'm hunkered down for the weekend, no where I need to go, I have a pot of chili simmering on the stove. I'm looking forward to a weekend of just chillin' and watching the snow fly. We had a half inch of snow earlier that's melted, light flurries now that aren't sticking.

The bird feeders are filled and I'm going to start a flat of seeds here shortly. Let it snow!

Barb

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

It is snowing pretty good here and has been for a couple of hours. NWS radar from Pueblo shows ours is coming from the southwest. Upslope to kick in soon? I suspect that might be the case. Just as long as it keeps coming straight down and not horizontally. (Downtown Limon, btw)

Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW! It’s comin’ down for real here now! About a half an hour ago it started coming down hard, but it was really fine and then it let up a little bit. Now, very suddenly, it’s big flakes and it’s coming down HARD! Even a little trouble just seeing across the street out front! Wind has picked up quite a bit too, but nothing really bad. TV has been saying it’s supposed to be coming and going in bands, but if they turn out to be wrong about that my whole house is gonna be buried real quick if it keeps up like this for very long!

I was out of “easy” stuff to eat so I stuck a ham in the oven a few hours ago. It was still half frozen when I put it in so I have it in a slow oven and it’s taking a while—and for the last couple hours it’s smelled SO good I can hardly stand it! Won’t be long now! Or, at least, frozen in the middle or not, very soon I’m gonna EAT IT! Watching the snow!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

We had a reprieve all morning, so I took advantage of that and did my shopping. About an hour ago, it started snowing again. And then the wind kicked up big time! A big gust blasted in and a whole bunch of snow flew off the roof and the tree in the back yard - it was total white out condition for about a minute!! It's still snowing now - small flakes, but a whole lot of them and very steady. Tried to get a pic, but just doesn't come through like it really is. Sure we won't end up like poor Boston, but getting it pretty good. Sorry for those of you who need the moisture and it's passing you by! But another storm suppose to come in on Wed., so maybe that one will head your way.

I'm getting really hungry reading some of these posts - ham, chili .. yumm! Maybe I'll make some tortilla soup - that always hits the spot for me :)

9 years ago

Went to the gas station a bit ago, it was snowing pretty good when I left the house. By the time I got out of the store, it was total white out! Remembering the 70 degree days when I was out in flip flops and a tank top at the beginning of the month, I thought "in like a lamb, out like a lion" was only for March!?!

I think we're doing chili tonight too, but that ham sounds awful good!

P.s. I should probably credit Denver Public Library for the pictures, I don't want them coming after me for copyright infringement or something haha!

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Snows up to about 14 inches here this morning. Weather says some parts of Westminster got up to 16.5, so that harder band of snow bypassed us a tiny bit.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    9 years ago

mstywoods,

It does look like your area got the worst of it. It's been windy here, 35 mph gusts yesterday with lots of drifts forming. With it blowing so much it's hard to tell how much has fallen, but I'd guess we have about 5 inches here so far. It looks like we're in for some winter this week!

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

We've had about 5 inches of really heavy, wet snow and its still coming. Just what the Dr. ordered.

9 years ago

Good to hear, David! Hopefully it keeps up!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, it’s lookin’ pretty good for you down there this time, David. NOAA is now saying 6-12” for the Dolores area. A little less than that for Cortez, and 3-8” for Towaoc! I’ve been keeping an eye on your area this winter since I donated some seedling pines and piñons for Tribal Park last fall—to help reforest some of the areas that burned in 2000, so I’ve had my fingers crossed and have been watching your precip amounts. The Johnson Canyon area, just south of Mesa Verde, is showing 5-11” thru Monday nite! You GO, Baby Trees! The problem with trying to figure out how much they actually get is that radar from Grand Junction doesn’t “make it down that far” very well, so sometimes I’m pretty sure you’re getting it, but I can’t really “see it” on radar. And Albuquerque radar is too far the other direction! I was really glad to read your post that you were getting heavy snow! [About an hour ago Blanding was showing up to about a foot, so if that’s coming your way, you should definitely be getting more! And the San Juans can sure use it!]

I measured here when I went out to fill a couple feeders a couple hours ago, and it looks like I have about 6” or a little more that’s actually on the ground, but the ground underneath was so warm that I’m guessing at least a couple inches melted off. For sure that first little batch we got before this “main” storm moved in” was all melted already before this started. And one of my neighbors shoveled my walks and drive this morning, and even with temps in the mid/upper teens, the concrete was still so warm that it was wet all day—did have the sun out here for a couple hours—before it started snowing again!

I was watching a neighbor across the street shoveling last nite, and it looked like he was digging thru at least 8”, and from what I could see I’d say it was more like 10”. His house faces north, so the sidewalks are in shade all winter and nothing was melting “on the bottom” over there. Was a little bit tempted to walk over there and stick my yardstick in his yard—but it was COLD out!!!

Like you being out in flip-flops, Zach, it’s been less than a week since I’ve been out in the yard in short shorts—and barefoot! What a difference a few days make! Think it’s gonna be a while before I’m out there barefoot again! But at least this should slow down all the bulbs I have that are up WAY, WAY too far for this early! I already have dafs, hyacinths, and even tulips up anywhere from about 2” to a good 6”. More than half of my deciduous perennials are showing new growth already, tho still very small in most cases. And before this last snow started I had crocus blooming in five different places around my yard! Everything is safely covered with snow now so all should be protected from the COLD we’re gonna get in the next couple nites. I only got up to 19 today and it’s already down to 10—and not even 6:30 yet! It’s definitely gonna be a brrrrrry nite!

Stay warm everyone! And if you need to be driving to get to work in the morning, drive carefully!

Skybird

P.S. Zach, I keep forgetting to say this! I LOVE your olde pics too! Kept trying to find a way to see them bigger! Can't right click to open in a new window anymore, and I'm wondering if that's because I'm using FF now. Might try opening GW in Safari and see if I can still do it there! But it won't be tonite! This is a Downton Abbey Night! Have homemade bread in the making and will be bedding down with bread, butter--and a glass of wine in about a half an hour!!! Incommunicado Skybird for the rest of the nite!

9 years ago

Just by a rough estimate, I'd say were sittin at ~8-10" here on the SW side. Nothing to write home about really. BUT! Another storm is coming on Thursday and Friday. I'd say comparatively, the roads are not THAT bad. Maybe it's because there not a lot of people on them. Usually, even with my 4x4 on, I will still slide around a little bit and have trouble taking off from stop lights/signs. So far (fingers crossed) I haven't had any issues.

If you all want to see lots of cool old pictures, Denver Public Library has a lot of them digitized here http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/photographs/. You can do searches, but you really have to know specifically what you want to find anything, but, you can enlarge them (one of the best parts is, when you "zoom" it also enhances them, so you can look close without too much degradation of the images). I couldn't find the RMN picture again to link you to it, but I found a larger version here https://www.pinterest.com/pin/356980707937282548/. Turns out I can't find the other picture again either! Like I said, you REALLY have to know explicitly what you want!

But I did find this (from the same 1913 blizzard) The sign's are pretty funny!

(http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/63063/rec/2)

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

Skybird, the four corners region is theoretically covered by the weather radars from Albuquerque Flagstaff, Grand Junction, and some place in Utah, but in practice, if you watch the time lapse rain stuff for storms rolling through here, they all disappear then reappear. Sort of the Bermuda Triangle of disappearing ships :-) Not enough people live or crops grow here to invest in better technology.

Snowed/drizzled all night, and its still keeping up. Not much depth because most of it is melting off as it hits.

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

I drove over to Durango this morning, and they are getting hammered, at least a foot of sopping wet snow. Here, its drizzling. This winter, we've had more rain storms than snow storms, and not very many of either. But anywho, this is turning out to the storm that saves the summer irrigation.

• jaliranchr
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you finally got some moisture, David!

We got about 10" and it didn't blow. Remarkable out here. When I measured the moisture for the CoCoRAHS measurement, it was .45" of moisture. Hey, that's great because it will seep into the soil this way. Even the part of the county that's featured in Stefan Tubb's "Droughtland" got some precious moisture. Hopefully, it will keep coming all spring. (One can hope!)

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

Batten down the hatches - again! Yes, I do indeed think we may just beat the Denver area record for the snowiest Feb. since 1912. Don't you think?

So who among you has ever had or made snow ice cream?! My grandmother made it for us when we were little - thought it was so cool :) So I made some for my daughter last month when we had a bit of snow (couldn't believe I'd never made it for her before, but guess that's because we were in bay area of California when she was young. Not any chances to make it there!! ). Anyway, she liked it and tonight brought it up, so of course I just had to make another batch. Perfect time for it - can't get any fresher snow than this!!

In case you've never made it, here's the "difficult" recipe:

4 cups of fresh snow
    1/2 c. milk
    1/4 c. sugar (I used powdered sugar, so it will dissolve quickly)
    3/4 t. vanilla

Mixed it well and viola - snice cream)!!

Marj

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

That looks good.

The last storm took the snow pack in the area river drainage basins from 50 to 60% of the 30 yr average. Looks like a similar dose is on the way for this weekend.

Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like I got about another 5” here yesterday and last
    nite! And I happened to be out in the
    very worst of it yesterday afternoon!
    Had a haircut appointment at 2:00 and went to a WM before it—when I left
    WM it was snowing very lightly and I was thinkin’ I was gonna make It home
    before it started getting bad out. Got
    done with the haircut and it was coming down harder, but still not all that
    bad. Then had to stop at KS to pick up a
    few things, and when I came back out of there 20 or 30 minutes later—it was
    coming down HARD—HUGE wet flakes! My car
    had at least an inch of heavy snow on
    it—and me, of course, with no brush or scraper of any sort! I was, after all, going to get home “before”
    it started! (And the weathermen had been
    backing me up on that theory!) Enter the
    (gloveless!) hands! Groceries in the
    trunk, windows and brake lites “sufficiently” cleaned off—hands FROZEN—I head
    for home, which, gratefully, is only a mile from the store! I was home for the rest of the day, but,
    needless to say, I guess, shortly after I got home the flakes got much smaller
    and the rate of snow decreased considerably!
    Guess I was just lucky! With luck
    like that…….

David, the Denver weathermen are saying the San Juans are in
    for 2 to 3 FEET! I have my fingers
    crossed for you! Not that I want you to
    be needing to be driving around in it, but I know how much you need it down
    there—and you’re not really IN the mountains!

Yeah, I know about “your” radar out there! Grand Junction is too far north, Cedar City
    is too far west, and ABQ is too far south!
    Then there’s Denver!!! Yeah! I guess that’s
    not gonna work! I guess you guys just
    don’t count! The most helpful thing I’ve
    found for me to figure out if it’s snowing/raining down there is I just keep
    the Towaoc page and a NOAA page of the Johnson Canyon area minimized and every
    now and then I refresh them and the “current conditions” say “what it’s
    doing!” When you got that last snow both
    places were saying “light snow” for most of the day, so I figured the Baby
    Trees got at least some
    moisture! I’ll be doing the same thing
    again as soon as this next storm starts.
    Looks like the next one is gonna be moving up straight thru the Four
    Corners area from Arizona, so I’m hoping it “covers” your whole area pretty
    well.

Zach, I love historical pics! (I discovered if I open GW in Safari rather
    than FF I can still right click and open the pics in a new window, and then I
    can easily enlarge the whole page to see them bigger—for the ones that don’t
    lose too much resolution, at least! I
    like the “Keep off the grass” sign! Too
    bad you weren’t here for the Holiday Blizzards Of 2006/2007! Denver got a total of 30” in those—week after
    week after week—storms! Starting just a
    couple days before Christmas we got the first blizzard, a week later the
    second, I think each of those was about a foot, and then for two—or was it
    three?—more weeks we got another bad storm each week. The residential street in front of me had
    about a foot of “hard packed” snow, and then foot-deep “ruts” developed in it
    from the people that had to try to get in and out, and it was totally
    impassible for anything except FWD high clearance vehicles. (I happened to be on a leave of absence and
    was able to just sit and LOOK! Good thing
    ‘cause I couldn’t have gotten out, literally, even if my life depended on it!) I didn’t “get to see ‘em,” but “main” roads
    were nearly as bad for a while!
    Everybody was up in arms! After
    about three weeks I heard “something” about midnite one nite and when I went to
    look there was a little front end loader going down our (small residential)
    street scooping up the mountain of snow at the end of each drive and dropping
    it “somewhere else!” Have never, before
    or since, seen the city doing that on residential streets!

Here’s a pic of DIA on 12.22.06, and that was just the very
    beginning!

DIA on 12.22.06

{Just a heads up! I had suspected this, but it looks like URLs that have _ in them don't work here if we just copy past them! So far, any URL without an underline seems to have worked for me!]

But the pièce de résistance from that/those storms was that
    somebody from Loveland put up an ad on ebay selling “Genuine Colorado
    Snow!” Ebay eventually took the archived
    page down, but this was part of it:

"You can personally pick up your snow any time this
    week to avoid shipping and handling charges. Bring a dump truck and your own
    shovels. Otherwise, your snow will arrive in some sort of leak proof
    container…a jar? (We promise no yellow snow!) Sorry, positively no refunds.
    Quantities vary."

For a while the ebay ad was almost as much in the news as
    were the storms!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/01/01/colorado-couple-sells-snow-on-ebay/

And then there’s another one you missed! March of 2003! That one got us 31.8” of “official” snow (it
    was still measured at Stapleton). I was
    based at SFO at that point, and commuting to DEN! It started snowing on the 18th,
    snowed all of the 19th, and ended on the 20th! I had been at SFO for 7 days starting on the
    15th, and had worked every single day—that means I had had virtually
    no sleep for seven days as of the 21st. I had, obviously, heard about the blizzard—I
    was supposed to have been thru DEN on the 19th and 20th,
    and got rerouted just about everywhere else in the country—and Canada!—and was
    falling-down dead on my first day off, the 22nd! But I was not about to stay sitting in my
    (crash pad) room at SFO, so I decided to come home to DEN, figuring if I needed
    to dig my car out of a ten-foot drift in the parking lot, I just would! Even having lived in DEN for about 40 years
    at that point, I was TRULY astonished when I got back to my car at DIA—and
    there was NO snow on, around, or near it!
    There were 8-10’ PILES in the lot where they had plowed and piled it,
    but around the cars it was bare, and dry, in most places! I just stood there with my mouth open! Thank you Colorado Sun! And driving home provided Astonishment Number
    Two! I was quite “prepared for battle”
    on the roads home—which went “cross country” out around Rocky Mountain Arsenal,
    but, there too, the roads were dry—and where they had plowed it off of the
    roads, there were piles on both sides of the road most of the way that were
    6-8’ high! It was like driving thru a
    tunnel—with no top! Just two days after
    it ended I drove home on dry roads—well—until I got into my subdivision! Here’s a couple pages where folks documented
    their experiences in that blizzard!

http://www.dayweather.com/DenverBlizzard2003.htm

http://www.evergreen-co.com/steven/html/wholeframe/Blizzard03.html

And here’s a page with some statistics! The foothills got up to SEVEN FEET of
    snow. About 135,000 people lost their
    power. And one of the “tents” at DIA
    ripped open! I think that’s the only
    time that’s happened!

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/03/19/10-years-ago-one-of-the-worst-blizzards-ever-hit-denver/

This morning I had full sun for a couple hours, then it
    started snowing again, and it’s been alternating between more HUGE flakes, and very
    fine snow—which is what it is right now.
    It’s getting hard to measure how much “new” there is because of the
    “old” snow already on the ground! But
    I’m glad I got what I got yesterday to cover up all the perennials again since
    most of the snow from the last storm had melted off—and it’s supposed to get
    COLD in the next few days! Night time
    lows in the single digits and teens!
    Everything is once again safely protected—and getting protected-er!

Misty, I think I just might try your recipe in the next few
    days! Is it supposed to be kind of
    “slushy” by the time you get it all mixed up, or do you stick it in the freezer
    for a little while! What do you do with
    any “left overs?”

Just think, in a couple more months we’ll all be planting
    tomatoes!!!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    9 years ago

I remember that blizzard(s) in 2006 - that was our very first winter in Colorado after having moved here from California. Talk about shock!!! Totally was thinking 'OMG - what have we done!' People would tell us, when they found out where we'd moved from, 'really, it normally doesn't snow like this!' and we were thinking 'yeah, right!'. But time as proven them correct on that - haven't had that bad of a one since :) And I remember that auction on ebay, too LOL. But I seem to recall - maybe it was a different one? - that someone actually offered several hundred dollars for some snowballs because he wanted to surprise his kids since they moved somewhere where it didn't snow, and they missed it! Don't remember if they actually sold it to him or now, though.

Wow - I sure am glad we didn't move here in 2003! That is amazing!! I love the photo records on http://www.evergreen-co.com/steven/html/wholeframe/Blizzard03.html - especially the two pics of the little boy by the french doors. In the first pic, the drifts are about 2 frames above his head, and the next pic the drifts are over 4 frames above his head!! Think I would have packed my bags and headed back to warmer climate if THAT had been our first winter here!!

The 'snice cream' (as we call it) is more like ice milk than ice cream, because of the water in the snow and the milk. And it is more on the slushy side. But the flavor is similar to vanilla ice cream :) You can eat it right away, but can also put in the freezer. It sets up rather hard (again, because of the water in the mix) so you have to let it thaw abit to eat. But it's still fun to do, especially for the kids, and a easy, cheap treat to boot!

I'd say we've gotten 6-8 inches since yesterday. When I stuck a ruler in the snow last night about 10, we'd gotten about 5 inches (that's just since about 3pm that same day). And we had snow during the night, and again this afternoon. So since last Friday, we've gotten somewhere around 20". We've had melt here and there, thankfully, so it's not that much on the ground now. But adding the amounts together it comes to about that. Good for the plants!! We've got icicles on the window screen in our kitchen both on the outside and inside of it - it's melting slowly and dripping through one of the seams in the frame onto our kitchen counter (took us a while to figure out where the water was coming from!). It chiseled some of it off, so should slow it down a bit. May have to get the hair dryer out and melt it off completely if it keeps dripping onto the counter, though - I didn't want to rip the screen by chiseling too hard, and it's really stuck to it!!

Gee, it wasn't that long ago we were talking about the spring flowers showing up!!

Marj

9 years ago

Haha Skybird, dont forget I'm a Colorado boy birn and raised (in fact if you do a search on the DPL site for D. Hurd, youll find a picture of my great x6 grandfathers grocery store he set up in 1873!)

I DO remember 2003 and 2006 lol and boy do I have some memories! I didn't leave Colorado until July of 2007 and came back less than 4 years later in May of 2011 (Uncle Sam let me go early on good behavior LOL!)

I remember in 2003 I was stuck at my grandparents house in Centennial (though I don't know if it was "Centennial" yet, or still just Arapahoe County, with a Littleton address). Anyways, it was over spring break and I made over 200$ shoveling all the neighbors driveways and me and one of the neighbors, Mike, and his son had to shovel out the entire street since it was a cul-de-sac and the plows won't go down those.

In 2006 me and my brother had to do the same thing at OUR house because we also lived on a dead end which didn't get plowed. We piled all the snow on the neighbors car because we didn't like him haha.

From my memory, 2003 was worse than 2006, and my grandma kept telling me it was worse then 1983 (?) which was the year they moved to Colorado from ALABAMA! Imagine how they felt coming from the Sunny South and getting hit with one of the top ten storms in Denver history!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Misty, I can’t even imagine having a “first winter” here in
    ‘06/’07 and then having everybody telling you:
    But it’s not usually like this!!!
    ROFL! I think that’s really
    funny! I moved to Denver in ’64 and I
    had NEVER seen anything even close to that year! It wasn’t so much about how much we got in A storm, it was that we kept getting
    storm after storm after storm! We
    definitely had had bigger individual
    storms before! I remember one winter in
    the ‘70s sometime when we lived in Park Hill and had been invited to friends
    who lived about a mile away for either Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, and
    there was no chance at all of getting out in the car—so we walked! I remember “wading” thru knee to hip deep
    snow the whole way! It was work, but we
    actually had a lot of fun! It was kinda
    like kids playing in the snow! Wish I
    could remember what year that was!

OK! I got curious so
    I googled it! It looks like it must have
    been the November 19-21 blizzard of
    1979—17.7”
    of snow!
    And then we would have been going to their house for Thanksgiving! I do remember that the roads were still so
    unplowed that we were walking right down the middle of the road at times! And I know this for sure! I’m too old now to think it would be fun to walk a
    mile in knee to hip deep snow!

https://www.denvergov.org/Portals/428/documents/Severe%20Winter%20Storm.pdf

I don’t know when I’ll get around to it, but I’ll let you
    know how my snicecream turns out! I keep
    trying to think of a way I can add some chocolate that would “dissolve” quickly
    enough to work without totally melting the snow! I have some raspberry syrup—maybe some of
    that! Could put chocolate on it!

I’ve looked at the big version of most of those pics, and
    some of them are just amazing! It’s not
    too often we “get to” shovel off our deck from INSIDE the house!

David, Mike Nelson on Channel 7 weather just “upgraded” you
    to from two to FOUR feet of snow for the San Juans! Batten down the hatches, indeed!

I think of you as a Hawaii Boy, Zach! (Mele Kalikimaka—a couple months late!) Well, at least you don’t think I’m just
    making up these blizzards! Check the
    stats on the linked site! Looks like
    Denver got clobbered three separate times in ’83! I don’t specifically remember any of those
    three, but I bet I have pics (on paper!) of them somewhere!

Speaking of “spring flowers,” Misty, on Tuesday I took pics
    of my crocus in one spot where just the flowers were showing above the snow,
    and since the sun was out, they were open!
    Three hours later I took another pic and the snow in that spot was
    completely gone! That’s Denver for
    ya! (And that’s the same Denver Miracle
    that allowed me to drive home on dry roads two days after the blizzard in ‘’03!)

I’m down to 13 degrees here!

Skybird

9 years ago

Aloha Skybird! Maybe I'll start welcoming new members with "e komo mai" a throw them for a loop, LOL! My son was born in Hawaii, I still call him my little "keiki" and that is all the Hawaiian I remember! Though sometimes I'll throw up a shocka and say "shoots brah" and my love of flip flops (or slippas) and board shorts run deep, it's true. In fact, I can still co-ordinate my outfit with my flip flops and I have a whole drawer devoted to the board shorts, and most of my t-shirts are Billabong or Quicksilver. But, make no mistake, I still rock my Wranglers, pearl snap shirts, and boots on the regular, and I'm finally starting to get over feeling like it's an ice age when the mercury drops below 70. Though, I do still get very irritable when the forecast calls for snow. I guess I'm still partially an Islander (though, I think the locals would take objection to me saying that).

In regards to chocolate "snicecream" maybe you could make chocolate milk and use that instead of regular milk in the recipe...you could make all kinds of flavors that way! I might try it with my "keiki" this weekend. But shoots, it sure wont be no shave ice, brah ;).

I do, and always have, loved how snow doesn't last in Denver, and, as long as the sun is out, it will melt at sub-freezing temps, and 25F can easily feel like 45F without any cloud cover. One of the perks of being over mile in elevation!

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

From the Grand Junction NOAA weather guy:

MODELS REMAIN IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT FOR THE NEXT STORM WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF SNOWFALL FOR THE SRN MTNS AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE CENTRAL MTNS. BY COPIOUS...WE`RE TALKING ANYWHERE FROM 3 TO 4 FEET OF SNOW...A REMARKABLE AMOUNT THAT CERTAINLY LOOKS REASONABLE.