SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cygnwulf

Dr. Seuss got a little cold

cygnwulf
9 years ago

Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot take any abuse or cold weather really. I had one of the larger ones that I was trying to use to overwinter my lemon tree and brugs. I had a string of christmas lights (the old kind, not LED) for use on nights it would get below freezing, but I've been out there regularly with the packing tape sealing seams back up were the wind has ripped it a part. I have probably 20 or so gallon containers of water, painted black, for thermal mass too. However my poor brugs got their leaves zapped.I had a pair of Dr Seuss, one a year old, one two, in 14" pots. (planning on potting one up this year to 24" and sticking the other in the ground). however, all of their leaves have been zapped by the cold, I didn't manage to keep the greenhouse above freezing a couple of times already this winter. The lemon tree is doing well, though some of it's outer leaves have turned purplish from the cold the rest of the tree seems to be holding on great and it's even still blooming here and there. The lettuce and Peas in the greenhouse, all closer to the outside too, are all doing well. So I know it only got a little below freezing and not for an extended period.

My question for you today is, do you think they'll come back? What can I best do to help them out? I've already moved them around to my garage, since they've no leaves anyway right now, and am watching closely for them to try to bud out again.

I know Carrie cuts her Dr Seuss way back and buries it in leaves, overwintering it in the ground around here, is there a good chance these will come back? Suggestions on the best care for them?

Comments (3)