SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saraning

My succulents are dying.. possibly caused by rotten roots. help me plz

Sara Chau
9 years ago

I built a succulent terrarium 7 days ago. i did plenty of research, good drainage, etc. but i did mix my own soil (first mistake) 1/2 potting soil 1/2 small rocks so the soil wont stay too saggy. anyway... everyday i stare at my terrarium cuz ive killed one before and i had no idea why so i just gave up on it n threw everything away. but this time .. i actually care! and also i just found out they need sun (second mistake) n i dont think they are getting enough. where my aprtment is facing..i get exactly ZERO "direct" sunlight.

anyway, some of these succulents started to point down and i knew something is wrong, so i bought some cactus soil today to re-pot it. when i took them out. the roots are clearing not happy, i believe they have rotted?? they are skinnier .. soft.. fringy. so i just cut off the rotten roots and set them on a toiletpaper core (i cut them out and let the succulent sit on a hollow surface so in case the roots grow back out..the plate isnt in the way) so thats the extend of my actions of trying to save my succulents.

anyone have a better solution or advice??

like how long i should wait before putting them back in soil?

is cutting the roots enough?

n what i should do going forward?? thanks everyone

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County