SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
braverichard

Growing roses indoors in winter with very little light

braverichard (6a, North MO)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I've read many sources here where people stated that you will have so many issues with trying to grow a rose indoors without a lot of sunlight - leggy due to insufficient sunlight, lots of spider mites, etc. Well, I got this Dick Clark rose own root plug on December 7 last year, a little too late to plant in the garden as I had wrapped up my fall planting. I then decided to just pot it and see.

It was placed on a dresser by a South East window where it has bright light all day but direct sunlight for only 2 hours a day - on a cloudless day. Over here in Kansas City most winter days are cloudy with no sunlight.

Here it is today.

I hit it with Osmocote when potted and watered it weekly with my other house plants. Temps in my home are 71 F just for a few hours (when I'm home) and 65 F at night and during the day when I'm out. Humidity stays around 40% thanks to my tight home construction.

It started out growing slowly, sped up and developed two flower buds, one of which has opened as you can see above. Since it is a young plant the flower is just about 2 inches and too heavy for the cane and will get bigger as it matures I'm sure as the cane will get thicker too. The foliage is very nice, glossy and deep green. I had zero insect issues with it. This can be done!

Comments (12)