SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanninefay1

Classic with a modern touch White Kitchen Reveal

Jeannine Fay
9 years ago

For some reason the idea of doing this reveal felt overwhelming to me and I kept finding a reason to procrastinate. But I feel very strongly that resources such as this were super helpful for me while undertaking the overwhelming task of creating our kitchen. I'm very visual and I got so much out of seeing other peoples progress and reveals. I've internalized the process so much that I have trouble pointing to exact things in my kitchen that are thanks to having GW as a resource, but I know for a fact that my obsessive research paid off. Plus, I came into some fresh flowers so I figured it wasn't going to get much better than that. So here goes.....

This was a gut kitchen remodel and 8' two story addition. The addition off the kitchen included the breakfast nook/mudroom/half bath.

Because I like pictures and facts I'll try to provide as many of those as I can.

Cabinets: Made by Kitchenview Custom Cabinets, LLC in PA. They are painted BM White Down which is a creamy white with (I think) green undertones.

The Island is just natural cherry and it's already darkened which fun to see.

Counters: Ceasarstone- Piatra Gray.

Walls: BM Paris Rain

Trim: White Dove

Floor: White oak in kitchen with natural poly. Mudroom: Daltile-Continental Slate in Brazillian Green-Hopscotch pattern. (found on GW) really like it. It's tough as nails and hides dirt like all mudroom floors should.

Appliances: LG Counter Depth fridge. GE Induction slide range and GE Profile Dishwasher. Love the range, loved the dishwasher until I had to call a repair guy 6months into owning it. Old (still kickin') Microwave.

Lights- School House Electric - Union Pendants- 6"over island and 4"over sink.

Nook light: Steven & Chris SC784 Scandia-Island Light

Sink: Franki Orca with grates. I got the cutting board too and love it. I can prep right in front of the window which I love.

Faucets: Kitchen: Kohler Simplice in Vibrant Stainless

Half Bath: Kohler Archer Two Handle in Brushed Nickel

Nobs: TopKnobs-Mushroom Knob in Satin Nickel

Pulls: TopKnobs-Arendal-Satin Nickel. These were late stage (burnout) decisions that I'm just ok with. Got 3"pulls on drawers and wish I'd gone with 3 3/4". Should have asked GW for advise before I made that choice.

Backsplash: it's a creamy crackle that I found at a local tile store. Don't have much more info on it at my finger tips. I love it but I don't think it's anything special as far as creamy crackle tile goes. Cleans up nicely however.

If anyone has any other questions I'll do my best to answer.

Comments (52)

• smalloldhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, I love everything about your space and your choices. So beautiful!!

• Related Discussions

Basically done - white and cherry shaker kitchen reveal

Q

Comments (69)
    I have been absent from GW for quite some time, so I apologize for the delay in responding. Thanks to everyone for the kinds words about the kitchen. It's been nearly a year since it was finished and everything about it has been great. lynn2006 - the pullout with lid is by Rev-a-Shelf. The cabinet itself is custom as are all of the cabinets in the kitchen. Barbarav - I am loving all of my appliances. I particularly love the wall ovens, but really all the appliances are great and I'd do it all again the same way. TrueBlue234 - the cabinets are all new nsuep - the paint in the kitchen is Benjamin Moore November Skies. It's really a beautiful color. The tiles are from Heath, color is Frost I think, they are glossy, not frosted. They match perfectly with the paint and the color variation in the tiles is fantastic.
    ...See More

Any companies like Dutchwood?

Q

Comments (3)
    I can highly recommend Kitchenview Custom Cabinets in Paradise, PA. I have no idea what the wait time is but I don't think it's 6 months. They do great work and are very reasonable. You work right with Sam and his wife Barb. They also have an assistant who helps with drafting, Amos. Sam is very hands on. Nothing beats taking right with the cabinet maker about the cabinets he will make for you. He can answer all your questions coming from deep knowledge of his craft. Their prices were comparable with Dutch Wood when we got the quotes. https://local.yahoo.com/info-35230130-kitchen-view-custom-cabinets-paradise
    ...See More

Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Reveal

Q

Comments (38)
    The bay window was existing, but I believe it may have been a previous retrofit from a straight window before I bought the home. It's approx. 42" x 42" and 16" deep. It looks close to being a 45 degree angle for the sides. The glass backsplash was the big splurge, they run between $125-$150 a square foot installed. I was only going to have it behind the stove to keep costs down but my husband said just go for it so I did that whole wall. Its super easy to keep clean, just like cleaning a mirror or window.
    ...See More

Week 90: best reveals

Q

Comments (105)
    So this has nothing to do with reveals but I had to share. A few weeks ago we were discussing our pantries and, I think it was funkycamper, said that when she is sick she basically reverts to a kids diet. I mentioned that I had been sick and I bought some spaghettios and my kids asked what it was as they never seen them before. Well, today my 6 year old had to stay home from school because she was sick and she asked for some of that "sauce with the little round circles you had when you were sick". I still had a can so I warmed it up for her, she took one bite, looked at me and said, "ugh...not good. This doesn't taste good mommy" Is it silly that I was proud? She loves to eat salad and one of her favorite snacks is those mini sweet bell peppers. All I know is 6 year old me would have taken a case of spaghettios before wanting to eat a single bell pepper and my kiddo just told me that the processed stuff was crap and she would rather have veggies. :)
    ...See More
  • rmtdoug
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was admiring how your second course of backsplash lines up perfectly with the top of the window sill. I asked myself if I could plan that far ahead...No! The second course looks narrower. Were they custom cut and edged?

Great job! I like it very much. The island cherry and table will just get better and better over the years.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! Everything is so organized and neat, I love it! Thank you for sharing.

• camphappy
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Houzz will be stealing your pics! Love how you made it so functional too. Your views from your windows are gorgeous.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Love your space planning. The back-to-back banquette/mudroom wall is fantastic, especially the shoe drawers.

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rmtdoug-If I remember correctly we decided to forgo the usual wood apron under the window above the sink so that we didn't have water issues on the wood. The second row of tiles up from the counter was cut a bit in order to go under the sill.

• E K
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the "booth" type table (breakfast nook?) area (I'm new to this, so not sure what that is technically called).

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

Just beautiful! I love the drawers that go under the seating at your banquette! So clever.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I absolutely love everything you did. Great organization, lovely finishes. I am especially enamored by the deep drawers in the mudroom area that obviously go through the narrow wall into the base of the banquettes. Clever!

I'm obsessed with lighting right now so can I ask a question regarding your cans? What size are they, what spacing are they (feet between the different lights), how many lumens, and anything else that might be helpful. Oh, and do they give adequate light coverage?

I think you're the first reveal here at the new place! Cool. And don't worry about your photos. Houzz doesn't own your photos although, yes, people can "steal" them to use them just like they could if we were still at GW. I would take it as a compliment if anyone wanted to use photos of my kitchen!

• DIY2Much2Do
    9 years ago

Beanpiele…

I’m very impressed, and thank for sharing. I see many well thought out details, like:

- Low, horizontal outlets that fit into one row of tile

- Heating vent in toe kick space

- That booth… wow! The windows and light fixture are fantastic. I wish I had room for something like that.

- The mudroom space and those amazing shoe drawers that fit under the booth seating

- Well organized pantry with spice shelves on door

My layout is likely going to be very similar to yours, though not quite as big. So I have a few questions if you don’t mind…

1. How is it reaching the vertical slots over the fridge?

2. What is the vertical dimension of the apron at your island seating area, and does it interfere with legroom at all?

3. There’s a consensus around GW that the range shouldn’t be between the refrigerator and sink... the Ice. Water. Stone. Fire thing. My kitchen is going to end up like yours (fridge/range/sink). I’m almost feeling guilty about it, like I should know better. How does your layout work for you, and is this an issue?

Many thanks.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

What a lovely space!

How tall are your ceilings, how many recessed lights do you have and what are the general dimensions of the kitchen?

Thank you.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the eating area and those gorgeous windows! I, too, noticed those clever drawers in the mudroom...great use of space. Love your counters, moldings, light over the eating area, and it looks like you have loads of organized storage. Enjoy :)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Beautiful. I love the banquette seating surrounded by the windows. I can see myself with my coffee and newspaper (or laptop on GW) in the morning sun.

Those drawers into the entrance from the bench are ingenious. Is the island wood and the table wood the same?

I like that you did the island in wood. Very nice and well planned.

• berner43
    9 years ago

So beautiful and well thought out! I wish I could have seating like that!

Thank you for posting your beautiful cherry island with your floors. I have very similar floors and want to do cherry cabinets in at least part of my kitchen. I keep going back and forth about how much it will clash with the floors! It looks so good in your kitchen I think I'm sold!

• rebunky
    9 years ago

I love it ALL! Totally my style of mixing classic with modern. I am bookmarking this so I can copy some ideas. The nook looks so cozy! I just had a picture of your table dropping down and the cushions unfolding across to make a big bed for me to crawl into. Ok bad idea! ;) Oh and that entry wall of organization is awesome! I love the Paris Rain wall color. I could go on and on... Well done!!!

• lathyrus
    9 years ago

Super organized, clean and elegant. I love all the storage nooks in the divider between the breakfast nook and the mudroom.

• jayferg
    9 years ago

What a great space! You did a fantastic job. The banquette/booth is awesome. I would probably sit there all day reading and looking out the windows!

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the positive feedback everyone. For some reason I was nervous about doing a reveal, but I made myself do it out of gradatude for all the help others gave me. Here are some answers to those who asked....

funkeycamper: The lights are 4.5" cans. Sorry don't know the lumens but my electrician said he was putting in the max each would allow since they are on a dimmer. His advice to me was to keep the dimmer set below the max so that you don't switch the lights on when they are at max. He claims the bulbs will last longer that way. I have 5 cans in the kitchen area, under cabinet puck lights, and the two pendants. It's very well lit in my opinion. I think the key work where lighting is concerned is "layering". The cans are 6' apart at the narrow end of kitchen rectangle and 8' apart on the long side. Then there is one above the door leading to the hall. Pictures say it all:

DIY2Much:

1) I'm 5'5'' and can reach the vertical slots over the fridge w/o tippy toeing it. It's super valuable space for me which I access every day.

2) Good question- The island apron is 3.5'' tall and I can sit under it but can't cross my legs w/o doing a pretzel twist to my legs. An extra inch would be better which is why when we designed the nook table we asked them to make that apron only 2.5'' tall and there I can cross my legs no problem.

3)Yes, I did violate the I-W-S-F protocol. Ooops. I agree that it sounds like a very reasonable way to structure your layout if you can but one has to take the whole picture into consideration. My things are pretty close together. I go to my fridge to get the stuff to prep once and bring it to the sink. Work my rinsing and dicing magic and then just pivot and cook. No big deal for me. I like the fridge where it is because the kids can get in and out of it w/o getting into my work space. It's also the prime location for unloading groceries. All the bags go on the island and then I divvy things up between the pantry and the fridge.

Lenzai- The kitchen rectangle is 15'4'' by 11'6''. The nook area is about 6'2'' wide and 8' deep. My ceilings are 8'5''. We dropped it down in the nook to make it more cozy feeling.

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Belfenton-Yes, the island and table are both cherry with just natural poly. The table was done a little later so it's not as dark yet but with all that light on it I'm sure it will be soon.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Congrats on being the 1st GW Houzz reveal and on a great remodel! You gained so much function with the 8' addition. Very nicely done! What did you do on the second floor of the addition?

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Fabulous! Love everything about your remodel especially your cherry island and table. Makes me double think that I went all painted after having a cherry kitchen. Is that an old rotary wall phone in your seating area? Love it!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Fantastic kitchen (reminds me of my unfinished kitchen) and your nook area is to die for. I can only *drool* over yours since I'll prolly never see one in this house.

• magsnj
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, I love it!!! So much function in such a pretty little package! Thank you fore posting so much eye candy!!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

WOW!! I love it. All of it. The kitchen, the nook, the mudroom wall. Everything. Perfect. :)

• Carolyn
    9 years ago

this is beautiful. I really love your dining nook.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

So pretty! I will not be able to show my DH your kitchen because of the booth/nook. We couldn't make one work. Yours is perfection!

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

Beautiful functional kitchen! Love your choices, especially tile floor, paint, & organization. But all of it is classically beautiful!

• Julie Drew
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!! I And so functional! I especially love the reeded glass in the cabinets.

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bbtrix-The room above the kitchen was my sons very small bedroom so we added the extra 8 feet onto his room and then took a corner of his room (internal space) and made another bath on the 2nd floor.

nhbaskets-That is a fake rotary phone. It's push button. I wanted a kitchen phone but disliked all the cordless gizmos. I like it but as you may have noticed I picked the placement of it prior to the casing going on the window next to it. It was centered before the casing went on :( I'll put a message board next to it eventually to cover my mistake.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your beautiful new kitchen! All your choices have come together to create a lovely and functional work/eating/entertaining area. I like the freshness of the white and the warmth of the wood and your pendant lighting. And I've always loved a banquette! Clever use of space all around.

Re your creamy crackle tile - I chose something similar (mine are square) & it is very hard to capture the luster and dimension in photos. I think it complements your kitchen and the other components beautifully.

Congrats & Enjoy!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Wow, what a fantastic kitchen. All of your hard work and attention to detail really shows. I especially like how every nook and cranny was used in the wall between your nook and the mudroom. Your shoe drawers are phenomenal. Enjoy your new kitchen! : )

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the colors, the warmth, the banquette, and of course, the fresh flowers. Well done!

• Patricia
    9 years ago

Hi, Beanpiele,

Love your kitchen reveal -- it's really beautiful, warm, and personal. Curious as to what you did with your corner to the right of the range (also so happy that you love your range, as that is the one I am getting, too). Looks like you have a bank of drawers there, but didn't know if you put something secret in the corner (with both your uppers and your base). Thanks for sharing!

• dmeah
    9 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Every detail is so beautiful! What fabric did you use on your nook benches? We're going for a similar look with our nook, and I'm going to bookmark your reveal to use as inspiration! And I like your SS hood with your range :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love all of it, esp. the banquette and views.

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you all like the nook. My parents had one in their kitchen and it was such a cozy multi purpose space that I've had it in my mind to recreate it ever since. Here are my kids (many moons ago) sitting in their Grandparent's Nook:

Patricia: I have not done anything with that space yet. I wanted my pots and pans in drawers next to my range. I didn't what to have to step back, open a cabinet and pull out a rack. So I sacrificed some space. But the other side of that wall is a stairwell leading to our basement. I could possibly cut into that space and have some storage room in the stairs there. Somehow I see that project being waaaaaaay down the list though. I have good new for you on the range- when the GE repair guy was here to fix the dishwasher I asked his advice about getting the extended warranties. He recommended I get it for the dishwasher as he's had to fix a lot of them but then said not to bother with the range because he's hardly seen any problems with them.

Dmeah: The bench seats are made with 6 inch foam and covered with GreenHouse vinyl A9209 TAN. The backs are 3 inch foam and covered in Kravet HARRIDER SEAMIST 32840.540. I could not find a sunbrella fabric that I liked but I did pay to have the Teflon coating (probably cancerous) put on the back.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, I just love it. So classic, everything is just so. Especially like the horizontal outlets in the backsplash, the nook (and the drawers in the nook that serve the back hall!), the light over the table, the layout, and the overall look. Classic!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Ohh, the pic of your kids is adorable. Your kitchen is gorgeous. I always notice crown molding & window casings & I love yours. The breakfast nook is so pretty - the light fixture - love it. It's totally obvious that all your choices were carefully researched. Congrats on your new kitchen, mudroom & powder room!

• LE
    9 years ago

Wow, that's wonderful. I want to be your new best friend, just so I can hang out in that nook. Where did you say you live? I'll be right over!

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful! The whole thing! I'd love to have that cozy breakfast nook and like how the windows are there. Love the oak floor. It looks like a very well planned space. I'm sure you're thrilled! Enjoy it!

• leefield_gw
    9 years ago

It's simply beautiful!!!!

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple people have commented on the horizontal outlets. An idea I'm sure I got from GW along the way. It seems like a pretty simple idea but can take some active coordinating on your part if you want it done right. Have that tile picked out and a sample on hand so everyone can see what you're talking about. I believe the electrician should wait until the counters are in before he puts in the "boxes"(don't remember official word). The wires were all there of course though. Then I showed him the tile and told him I wanted the outlets to sit in the second row of tile. I did not bother with making him place the boxes so that the entire outlet would reside within one single tile. That would have required the tile guy to come in and map out his plan way ahead of time. A couple outlets actually did end up begin w/in one tile but to me that wasn't such a big deal.

The tile guys seemed to have more trouble with the whole thing. I guess not many people do this. There was a lot of back and forth about how to cut the tile around the outlets, but eventually he figured it out and it looks good. My outlet covers are 2.75'' high and my tile is 3'' so they sit w/in the grout lines. I asked for paintable outlet covers and then took a sample of my tile to Lowe's to have a small tin of color matched paint made. It actually worked!

• tea4all
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting your reveal! It is helpful for all of us who are still pre-reno. It is also a delight to see such lovely eye candy!

Love your pendant and light over table. It was helpful to see white oak floor and cherry island together. (I am considering white oak floors.) Your window sill is intriguing and will show my contractor your pic as a possibility for my kitchen.

You did a great job. May you enjoy it for years and years to come! Congratulations!

• Jeannine Fay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tee4all- One thing about that window sill you should know is that I had to return my original faucet in order for it to work......The problem was with the handle. The handle on the original faucet was taller and hit the sill when I turned it on and off. We could have made the sill smaller but opted to just trade the faucet out since I found one with a shorter handle that fit nicely under the sill. The bonus was that I even liked it better. Also be aware that I needed a sink (Franke-Orca) which had that notch in it for placement of the faucet a little more forward. If I had a deep sink without the notch it would have been impossibly tight with the sill there. All these little "hiccups" are coming back to me as people comment and it just reminds me that sometimes the story behind the picture is more complicated than it seems.

• nancyjwb
    8 years ago

I missed this somehow, and came across your link in another thread.

You did a great job with the planning. Everything is so well thought out, not to mention beautiful! I'm sure you're loving working and cooking in such a lovely, functional space:)

• ediblekitchen
    8 years ago

What a wonderful reveal and an absolutely gorgeous kitchen! It does inspire me to post my own reveal, once my kitchen is done... someday...

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

beanpiele - this is fabulous! Somehow I missed this too. I love the drawers built into the banquette - we did something similar with a blind corner in the pantry (created built in walnut drawers in the next room). Also love your backsplash, lighting and clean lines. Great job!

• kooopons
    7 years ago

Beanpiele- not sure if you'll see this as your thread is a little old. Beautiful kitchen!! We're using Kitchenview for our cabinetry too and I love your pantry cabinetry. Samuel is coming for the first measure in a few days and I want to talk with him about ideas for my pantry area. How deep are your pantry cabinets and do they function well for you?

• laineylynn
    7 years ago

Just beautiful! Also very well thought out and organized. Can you tell me what vent hood you used? Looks like just what I want for my kitchen remodel.