SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbyjneuberger

Need help with cast iron radiators

Abby Neuberger
9 years ago

Hi. We are remodeling our family room, and I am trying to learn more about cast iron radiators. We have a contractor doing the work, so I don't need to worry about installing things. However, the room is currently too cold, and so I want to be able to make an informed decision about the size and type of radiators we get.

Currently the room has fin-type hot water radiators along one wall (see pic #2 below). They do not work very well. We are hoping to replace those fin radiators with traditional cast iron hot water radiators. The rest of the house has cast iron radiators (not fancy ornate ones, just basic ones).

First, I know we need to figure out how much BTU of radiator that we need. Unfortunately , the different calculators on the internet give widely different results. Here is the info for this room-

Dimensions are 20.5' x 19.5' x 7'9"

A total of approximately 140 sq. ft of windows. This includes one wall of sliding glass doors (looking south) and one wall of smaller windows (looking west). Although the north wall is an exterior wall, it has no windows. The windows are all high quality Pella windows put in within the last 10 years

Below the room is an unheated crawl space. The room's floor will be wood. Above it is a heated bedroom.

As you can see from the picture, the walls are a mixture of stone and stucco. We recently had an energy audit and extensive insulation work done, so these walls are up to speed with their insulation.

Questions:

1. How many BTU do we need for this room?

2. Do they make radiators big enough to handle it?

3. If we can only get smaller radiators, is there any problem putting a number of smaller radiators in series along one wall to get to the total BTU we need?

Comments (11)