SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandmtn_gw

Problems with Farrow and Ball Primer Coat

sandmtn_gw
9 years ago

Today I put Farrow and Ball Primer over Sherwin Williams Latex Primer that was rolled on 4 days prior. This was my first time using Farrow and Ball.

I started out trying to find a suitable roller nap and so rolled and re-rolled over a wet area without problems . I settled on using a 1/2" nap. But after moving on with my painting, I started having problems with the paint lifting while rolling back into the just previously painted section. That was the case on most of the walls in the large room.

I tried to work fast and watch my "dry" rolling but it seemed to be unavoidable. What is really strange is that in some spots, there was no problem at all with lifting even without being particularly careful.

After finishing up and while looking over the areas I first rolled that were now dry to touch, I found some patches of cracking/flaking paint. Not much of this. I found one somewhat large section that the paint was literally sliding down the wall. It was one of those area that had lifted from rolling into it. I scraped the sliding paint off the best I could and left the rest alone.

Part of the walls were new drywall primed in the SW Harmony 4 days ago and some of that was skimmed over and sanded yesterday. Most of the walls had been painted 10 years ago and 4 days ago primed with SW Harmony.

I'm pretty sure the temperature in that area of the house was around mid-60's while applying the primer as I was able to work in there in a tanktop. It had been around 70degF 2 hours earlier but I closed the door to the heated area of the house and the temperature dropped in the area being painted. Temperatures outside were in the high-30's and these walls are mainly exterior.

I usually use Sherwin Williams and Zinnsser products and have used other brands in the past but have never seen anything like this. On the other hand, I have never painted in these temperatures nor used Farrow and Ball either.

Anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend.

Comments (12)