SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sritacco

Ikea Sektion hacking

sritacco
9 years ago

I spent some time today going over the new US Ikea Sektion system. Many things are different, many are the same. The most significant difference from a practical design standpoint is that the new wall cabinets are about 3" deaper than before. This is actually a bit unusual. It would have been a problem for the kitchen I finished last year where it would have been an ergonomic problem(ouch! my head) if the few wall cabinets protruded that much.

Here are a few things I really like from a hacking perspective.

1 - The deep cabinets now have 3 cam locks (front middle back). This should make custom depths easier to create.

2 - The wall hanging cabinets seem to have the exact same depth as their floor standing "tall" cabinets. They are all designed to be installed with the same new rail system.

I think they have made hacking depth now about as convenient as hacking width.

I also like the updated blum drawers with side pieces etc. All and all, it seems like a nice refresh. I was concerned that they were going to limit dimensions more than they did. The new pull-out interior drawer is nice, but I'm surprised they seem to have gotten away from their old pull-out pantry (door attached to two drawers). It's also nice to see the lift door on any cabinet. That was a hack I had already done quite a bit of.

Comments (20)