SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentlc

what does a cocktail grapefruit taste like?

KentLC
9 years ago

I'm waffling back and forth between planting an oroblanco or a cocktail grapefruit. Although forum members have been very helpful when I've asked questions I realized that my basic question hasn't been answered.

From what I've read an Oroblanco tastes like a grapefruit but not as acid and with more sweetness.

I've read many comments on Gardenweb and other internet sources that say Cocktail is their favorite tasting citrus, their kids love it, etc. I also read in several places that it is juicy and sweet. But what does it actually taste like? Does it taste like a grapefruit but sweeter and less acid, like the Oroblanco? Or does it taste more like an orange with a little grapefruit? I ask that because the photos I've seen of the cut open fruit make it look more like an orange than a grapefruit.

I've read that the membranes of the oroblanco are bitter and need to be removed to eat the fruit. Are the membranes of the cocktail also bitter or are they more like an orange where you can eat it along with the fruit?

I am aware of the parentage of the cocktail and oroblanco, I'm using the word grapefruit more as a general taste category rather than the genetic heritage.

Thanks for any help that those who have actually eaten these varieties can give me.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz