SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klmaring

16" deep wall cabinets ok above range?

klmaring
9 years ago

I've purchased a Whirlpool WEG760HOD slide-in range(30") online but it'll be a couple of weeks before it's delivered and I'd like to order my cabinets before then. I'll be using 27" deep base cabinets with a 30" hood over the range. The manufacturer's installation pdf shows cabinet opening dimensions for a base cabinet depth of 24" with a countertop depth of 25". According to the diagram the upper cabinet depth is a maximum of 13". Is that really true or is the 13" (case + door) just a standard measure if using standard 24" base cabinets? The proportions stay the same if I bump both my wall cabinets and base cabinets out 3" so I can't imagine it creates any additional fire danger over wall and base cabinets of standard dimensions. I called Whirlpool but they were of no help, I assume the rep is instructed to not deviate from what the generic diagram shows.

Also, the diagram of the range itself (which again is a generic drawing which covers several models) shows 28 5/16" maximum depth from front of console to back of range and 28 7/8" max. depth from handle to back of range. It's my understanding that since ~2" of filler are required behind a slide in range with my base cabinets being 27" with a countertop of 28 1/2" I should have plenty of space to play with when the range is installed. Is that right?

Thanks for your help. I've been studying GardenWeb for about 3 months now and have learned much. I'm also just about worn out before the project has even begun!

Comments (4)