SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klmaring

27" deep base cabs and range hoods

klmaring
9 years ago

I'm putting in 27" base cabs and have ordered a Whirlpool slide-in range. I understand standard 24" base cabinets leave about a 2" gap in back which needs to be covered with a strip of countertop. I assume by adding 3" of depth that grows to ~5". I'm ok with that but am struggling with how best to address the range hood depth. From my research at GW I see that one way is to get a wall mounted chimney hood and use something to bump it out 3 inches from the wall. Would a less expensive 20" depth models be adequate or do I need to buy a pricier 24" hood? Might it also be a viable option to use a small island hood instead since I'll have quite a bit of space between the back of the range and the wall?

One other question, Whirlpool's online manual states the wall cabinets on each side above the range must be a maximum of 13" deep. Is that really true? Their diagram is based on base cabinets of 24", counter top 25". If I keep the same proportions (16" wall and 27" base) I can't imagine why that would create any fire hazard if there's none with standard dimension cabinets.

Comments (8)