SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Dining area -Furniture & Lighting?

lisa_mocha
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We're in the process of making some changes to our living room (new furniture-prev. post) and now moving into kitchen-dining area.

There are several things we're trying to make some decisions on and I have no idea which way to go...looking for some opinions:)
Sorry, rather lengthy post!

1) Dining table- Re-finish or buy new? Existing table is solid pine and can be re-finished (@$1000) or buy new.
The top is scuffed-up so should we decide to re-finish, would likely go with a darker stain.
I like the simple style of the Pottery Barn Toscana table in the Chestnut finish. We could also have a table made locally for a little more $ than PB.

Note: We are having new hardwood put down. It will be a wider plank but somewhat similar in colour (reddish-brown; would love to get away from the red-tones and have more mid tone brown, but we have similar flooring on the 2nd and 3rd floors and staircase throughout so need to keep some consistency)

2) Banquette: We're looking at this option. Could go either built-in running length of the mirror or possible L-Shaped and get rid of piece of furniture at end of the table.
If we go with a banquette, we think we need a new table that does not have 4 legs, but a pedestal or x-base like the PB table.

Open to any other seating options.

3) Sideboard, built-in 'Bar area' or open shelving.
Considering either sideboard that would fill the length of the wall (no more than 62'') or, we have built-in cabinetry with add'l storage (not critical)
Other option is open shelving...similar to Crate & Barrel Beckett shelves option. (picture in link below comes in 3, 5 or 6 shelf options. We can look for similar styles)

4)Lighting over the table. I'm liking the lantern style, but open to anything. I've looked at Hinkley Fulton 3334BZ (2 lanterns over table), but now realizing I have 2 mini pendants over the island and will this look odd?
Open to changing island lighting too.

Here's a link to a few pictures of dining area and a few things under consideration

Hinkley Pendant Lights...2 over table??

Idea for Bar area built-in sideboard"

It's just my husband & I. When we have friends over, usually just 2 other couples. If we went with an extending table, we could fit 8 comfortably. (Usually do this in summer for outdoor gatherings in backyard)

I'm torn between keeping the look 'kitchen casual' or perhaps going for more of a little more formal, but still casual look...if that makes any sense:)

Thank you for your help!

This post was edited by lisa_mocha on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 10:53

Comments (20)

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI, here's a view of the opposite end of the dining/ kitchen area

• amykath
    9 years ago

What a lovely space! I wouldn't spend that much on refinishing. If you can have something made just as you want it, I'd go that route. I love your built in inspiration photo!!

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I've done this properly, here's a link to a few pics of the space...

http://s415.photobucket.com/user/lisa_mocha/library/Dining%20area

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my, what a pretty room.

I agree, don't spend a grand on refinishing. You can actually do it yourself for next to nothing. $1K to sand, stain and seal. Absurd.

Not sure about the banquet in the corner. I've always thought dining seating should be moveable itself. Also, you've got the benches under the table. It might be bench-seating overkill in that one space.

How often do you actually use the two chairs that are at the island? I ask because, if you were to get two stools that can actually be moved completely under the overhang but available for use when wanted, you would be able to fit a much larger dining table in that space, perhaps round or square, that could seat 8. Although I suspect you'd have to move the center of the chandy hang over the table, but that is not a huge deal to do.

Looks like you've got a another chandy in there, in the living area. So three areas with lighting hanging from the ceiling?

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 11:06

• User
    9 years ago

How about an oval table? The curved corners allow more more seating capacity. Something along these lines: see link

Here is a link that might be useful: oval pedestal table

• User
    9 years ago

oops. Okay, forget the round or square table idea. Didn't see that doorway there until I just now looked at the photo bucket pics.

So I'd look at oval pedestal. Has the shape of the rectangle to fit in that area but the curved corners for adding more chairs when needed.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Aktillery and Tibbrix:)
    The challenge is that it is a small narrow space. Oval table is out... DH prefers rectangular. I'd love to have a round table if I had the proper room dimensions for it. Honestly, would be so much easier to move, lol, than deal with the wonky lay- out in this house. The joys of city living... Tall & narrow.

We do use the island chairs everyday... breakfast, reading paper, even a lot of dinners. We'd go for new chairs here too ( he's finding them uncomfortable now...), but still prefer something with a back.

There's the 1 drum light over the table and 2 mini pendants over the island.
    I'd be willing to get rid of the boxes under the windows if we went to banquette seating. I think I'll slide them under the table today to give an idea of what it would like like....

We also had HVAC contractor in to look at removing that wall between kitchen & living as an option as we' re installing new hardwood anyways.
    However, so much venting in here up to the next 2 levels. We could open it up @ 3 feet, but then we'd lose storage and spend $2k for a wider door.
    I didn't think it made sense....

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I think a corner banquette would look great and be a good use of your narrow space. It's hard to tell from pictures, but I think two lanterns in addition to your two pendants might be a bit much.

If you did the banquette, I think I'd put the built in bar/server on both sides of the fireplace, under the windows.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd refinish the table myself.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jlc... I wondered the same thing about too many hanging lights in small space.
    I just played around with banquette idea and not sure if L- shape will work unless we went with a very long table. ( existing is 78")
    Everything becomes too off- center when removing the cabinet and pushing table up( I tried, leaving enough room for bench)

The more I think about it, maybe I'm better off to go with the bar area idea on the wall ( inspiration pic below) and get new chairs / table and forgo banquette idea. Ugh. Decisions!
    The windows are too low to have cabinets placed there.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or, something like this....

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took the benches under the window and moved them to get an idea of what a banquette would like. Mmmm...I'm not convinced.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again...
    My husband often looks at me and exclaims ' squirrel'! Yes, easily distracted and 'squirrelling' off in another direction:)

So... On to wallpaper!

Just watching 'House of Bryan' ( wow is all I can say... Quite a home)
    They used Farrow & Barrows Lotus wallpaper in their dining room.

I'm not so sure about a banquette as I'm leaning toward trying to make this area ' less kitchen, more dining' space. Think I just might go with new table and upholstered chairs.

What are thoughts on this F& B paper? ( won't tell DH the price of it... He'll choke :). Might need to look for alternatives.
    I could just do it on the 1 long wall. Or, do you think the pattern is too large scale for the space ?
    Mind you, I did a large scale WP on 1 wall in my home office and love it.
    Just at a loss of what I can do to change up this space...

This post was edited by lisa_mocha on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 22:47

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Scale on wall ( I'd be going with yellow/ beige shade)

• colleenmay13
    9 years ago

You can improve the lighting for your dining room to have atmosphere and the perfect fixture and light output help achieve this goal,Make use of sparkle and flatter LED
    lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jedlights low voltage track lighting

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all... Any thoughts on this sideboard? It fits the wall space perfectly. Just not sure if it's a little too ' heavy' looking. I would then go with a table with similiar stain color.

I can still go the built-in cabinetry route( ie bar area pics above), but of course, it's more costly. If I proceed with cabinets, do they have to be a match to rest of kitchen cabinets on the other side of the room?

I'm stuck on this and hoping to do a little scouting around this weekend.

Thanks for any feedback :)

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jlc. I like the sideboard as well...perhaps it makes sense to buy a piece that can be moved to another area if ever needed, rather than stationary cabinets. We currently have white beadboard style cabinet doors which will likely get updated one if these days. Would still go with white or off white, but in classic shaker style. ( we had to replace our furnace last week after it suddenly died! Boo!! There goes $ on ' non-pretty' things, lol)

Here are the existing cabinets...

Also posted a pic of open shelving ( don't know why pic is sideways??) available in 3, 5, or 6 shelf options. DH likes them, but likely hidden storage is best!

Love the F&B wallpaper, but will do a search for other ( hopefully less expensive) options. I guess if only doing 1 wall, it's not so bad.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Oh yeah, you could do white Shaker with your current cabinets. But I like the sideboard more! Plus, you could send it to me if you get tired of it :-)

The open shelves would personally drive me nuts, and you couldn't use them as a buffet or bar. They look like they're not adjustable? That would make them more challenging to work with.

lisa_mocha thanked jlc712
  • lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'm with you Jlc:)

I like the shelving, but I guess really not suitable for this area. I could suggest to DH that he could get for his home office:)

I'm leaning toward the sideboard (from Urban Barn) and I'll remember to send it your way should I move forward with it and change my mind, lol.

Don't really need the wine fridge, and once we invest in built-in, there's no going back vs moving a piece of furniture elsewhere.

I'm going to see is stain on the sideboard is close to Pottery Barn Toscana table. ( the Urban Barn table a little wide for our space)

We're also replacing existing hardwood, so will need to check all out with the hardwood options wer' re considering.

Now...onto wallpaper search... I promised hubby no flowers:)