SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mags438_gw

Best material for a covered porch flooring

Mags438
9 years ago

Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again. To date, it's been replaced with t&g pressure treated pine. Tired of replacing it and looking for a longer lasting material. I thought ipe t&g was the answer. After a few years of looking for a experienced local contractor, I thought I was ready to pull the trigger. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts.

The deets: it's an older circa 1900s victorian style house with a covered porch. The flooring on all same homes is tongue and groove and is more like a floor vs. a deck style. I also prefer the look of a floor vs a deck style for this location. It gets some western exposure but the porch is covered. The porch floor sits above ground by a couple of feet, so air circulation under the flooring should not be an issue. I'm looking for a wood floor solution that, ideally, will last about 20 years *before* it starts showing wear. Looking for easy maintenance as we are aging. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Ipe was the answer...I thought. I really wanted to stain it but as I read more and more, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a nightmare to maintain. I didn't expect ipe to be 'no maintenance', maybe I thought, 'easy' maintenance.

I'm already confused on what the maintenance procedure should be. Sand? No sand? Twp 116 or cabots timber oil...or was that Rubio monocoat? Any input from homeowners who have ipe installed? Thanks weedy acres for your posted feedback here (and in other forums).

Any advice on helping me make a decision on materials? Ideally, I'm looking for a one-and-done install with easy maintenance ongoing. Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor