SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

How to end edges of backsplash . . . without bullnose tile . . .

szruns
9 years ago

OK, I really like this tile, and it looks fabulous (IMHO) with my granite, etc. And, it's only $9/sf and looks very nicely made. So, I really want to use it!

But, there is no bullnose available. There is the 3x6 subway, a "crown molding" and a tiny subway mosaic (irrelevant).

Most of my backslash sides will either butt up to a full height cabinet (oven, etc.) or a corner (of the U shape kitchen), but there will be one short vertical edge and quite a few short horizontal edges . . . Because I have limited upper cabinets, lots of windows, and so a few relatively gaps between windows and cabinets where there is wall but no upper . . .

So, I have perused past threads and google searched, and it seems like my options are:

1) Choose another tile. (Please, no, reject)
2) Use a bead of caulk (color match to grout) and paintable, ideally, to paint with wall color.
3) Use the available "crown molding" piece as edge, but there isn't a lot of horizontal length exposed . . . so could/should I use that on the more problematic vertical edges?
4) Schluter or other "profile edges". Not feeling it. I don't want to introduce the "noise" of a metal color into this quiet backsplash . . . And not loving plastic or anything else that can/will deteriorate over time. (Tile is so lovely in that it lasts so long looking great.)

I'm leaning towards simply sticking with straight up 3x6, no trim, and cutting/caulking the edges. What say you?

My 3x6

Comments (23)