SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

"Houzz-style" tile layout: this is what it takes.

palimpsest
9 years ago

On a fairly regular basis, someone posts a tile layout and asks; "Is this acceptable, I don't like all the cut tiles. I would expect my tile setter to do a good layout without so many cut tiles. I just want what I typically see on Houzz where there are full tiles".

I think if this is what the homeowner wants, they need to show the contractor some pictures because the contractor needs to know this a lot sooner than you might think. And the contractor has to be one who "gets" the aesthetic behind this, too.

I had my contractor build this because I want a knee wall (really a full stub wall) at one end of the shower, and I want the shower base to be made to fit this and have a curb that lines up with this and I want No Cuts on the tile. I think you could draw this all you want but I think you need to build it out of the material to make sure it will work. This bathroom is only partly framed, we are figuring this out prior to framing and it will be framed according to the tile.

I am using this format but not this color. In the bathroom that gets 4.25" tile we will build another one.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio