SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Having a hard time finding the right Chandy

amykath
9 years ago

I have been looking for a chandelier that is 44" more or less for my vaulted wooden ceiling in our new build. It is not an easy thing to find. I'm will to spend 1,000 or so and that's a lot for me. So, I've narrowed it down to three. Any suggestions would be great! Our home is contemporary/traditional with fairly straight, clean lines.

Here is a link to the thread where this size discussion started.

Thanks for any and help in advance!
Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread

Comments (47)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another choice, first one was 45" wide.

This one is 41"

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally, this is around 41 or maybe a little more.

• Related Discussions

Having a hard time finding cheap Brizo facuets??

Q

Comments (1)
    SPAM
    ...See More

Why am I having a hard time finding good sandalwood scent?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have a decent one from candle science, bulk apothecary also has many essential oils and may have what you are looking for although I haven't bought anything from them yet.
    ...See More

So, I'm having a hard time finding this tile. Any good matches to it?

Q

Comments (6)
    If you are not changing the cabinet layout, I’m not sure why you need more tile? But, consider combining a complimentary tile with the existing tile to create a subtle “rug” type pattern in the room. A light to medium gray around the island, and as a border to the room could work. You’ll need a very good tile guy to pull that off well. Deco strips that combine multiple colors can sometimes be the key to making that work. Without a floor plan and pictures of the issue, it’s difficult to give more targeted advice. But, if you’re not working with a Kitchen Designer, I’d strongly suggest that you do so. Good luck!
    ...See More

Having a hard time finding an off white paint color

Q

Comments (14)
    A few years ago, my husband and I painted the entire inside of our home with Behr off white Ultra Stain Blocking Paint and Primer in One. It was quite a labor of love. I purchased the paint from Home Depot, even got a 10% military discount (I am a retired US Air Force Captain). Prior to painting, we repaired all cracks and nail pops, washed and rinsed all walls, ceilings, doors and moldings. The paint went on smoothly, no issues, great coverage. I like Behr much better than SW or BM. We used matte for walls and ceilings, and satin for moldings and doors. Everyone who sees our home always compliments us on the wall color! It looks great all times of the day too. Best of luck in your journey.
    ...See More
  • anitamo
    9 years ago

Disclaimer...I'm not a chandy person, and not knowing what the room looks like where this will live, I love #3 the best. I like the solidness and clean lines. The other two seem more airy, though, if that's the look you're going for.

• User
    9 years ago

It's hard to give opinions w/o seeing the room.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

They all seem a bit frilly in the context of the exterior (?)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True Tib. I need to get a mood board together.

Pal, the exterior really isn't looking modern. I'd say just more casual but clean lines.

• User
    9 years ago

This might sound harsh, so I apologize if it does, but I think esp. the first two seem "Addams Family" and the third is missing something. Can't really say what but it's missing a certain authenticity. I know that's not helpful, and it's just my opinion, of course.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I have to agree with Pal, they seem kind of frilly for a home that is casual with clean lines. How about something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Feiss Angelette Chandelier

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

You might think this is too simple but I think apropos for the Tx Hill Country:

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Lighting 44 Inch Chandelier

This post was edited by MagdalenaLee on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 19:20

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

How about this one?

Do you have an inspiration pic of the room the chandelier will go in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Gull 48 Inch

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

This one is kind of frilly too, but I like that you can see the wood grain:

Here is a link that might be useful: Minka Lavery Accents Provence 45in.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is my last house and would say it defines my style pretty well. Subtract the window treatments as our windows in our new build likely will be bare.

Also I'm attaching a photo of what our ceiling will resemble minus the skylights. Hope this helps!

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

I just love this chandelier. Not sure if it is comes in the exact size you need.
    {{gwi:2138915}}

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The ceiling. Our pitch is not as steep.

• User
    9 years ago

I actually have what I think might be a smaller version of your second chandelier (Quorum Salento? Or is it the Motivo - I pined for that one too!) in my small breakfast room; it's a ridiculous thing and violates every rule of décor, but I loved it and it's one of the parts of my small kitchen renovation that I'm most happy with.

Fwiw, because it's such a light color (mine is the Persian white; I think it comes in an umber color too), and because it's so spindly, it doesn't take up as much visual space as the size might indicate. Which is a bonus for my cramped quarters - YMMV especially if you want more oomph or presence.

I really like the chandeliers we've posted here but I also like the multi-tiered ones on your other thread. It just depends what vibe you're going for; I actually thought the Salento was kind of French country-ish, whereas the others might be a touch more formal and transitional in style. They all are great - I envy your vaulted ceilings which give you so many beautiful options!

I have no good pictures of my smaller version but here's a shot from the other end of the kitchen that reinforces how minimalist it feels in a small room. The one thing that helped me when I was trying to decide was using an application on my Ipad that let me upload photos and "photoshop" items from various catalogues - it's called Snap Shop and they have photos from Horchow, CB2, and a few other places. The mock-up wound up looking very close to the real thing, and it helped me rule out other (more "practical") options as well.

{{gwi:2136549}}

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

You can barely see this one but is looks nice.{{gwi:2138916}}

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Small, I ADORE your kitchen and eating area. Love your taste. It looks fantastic!

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I think the lighter finishes you're looking at will disappear against the wood in your ceiling, I'd definitely look at bronze or iron finishes. Also the curly, drippy crystal look seems to be at odds with simple and clean lined. I love the 2nd one magdalenalee posted. Or what about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: VC chandelier

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Amy, the ones you posted seem flimsy because of the serious curves and thin metal. If you like the swirls and want metal, perhaps something with a little more heft to it, like this one? JMHO.

http://www.shadesoflight.com/lighting/chandeliers/all-chandeliers/

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 21:08

• User
    9 years ago

This is an interesting one. 44" x 44". Has the elegance of simplicity but the bling too. Notice the glass beads along each arm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oslo chandy

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I really, really like the one Jackson posted-- I think it would be perfect. It's a little bit like the ones you posted, with a little more substance and cleaner lines. I think it would look great with your wood ceilings.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Magdalena, thank you so much for posting all of those chandeliers. They are all lovely.

Jackson, that is a nice one.

Lovestowalk, that light looks very clean and simple. Might be a contender.

Nuts, when I click the link I just get to a page full of lights.

Tib, that chandelier is gorgeous, I would consider it but its is over double my budget. Darn!

Maybe I just need to wait on this item until all is in place and I know exactly what the room looks like and how it feels. It is hard to say when you are not in a space and feeling its vibe. I have already purchased lighting for the rest of the house. But, this room is different.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts! If nothing else you kept me from buying the wrong thing!!

• User
    9 years ago

I think that's a very good idea, AK. As far as the Oslo chandy, if you truly do love itâ¦I think it has every element you seem to be going for: awe (definitely a conversation piece people will notice), stately, elegant, traditional and contemporary mix, blingâ¦start saving for the other half of the cost if you're going to wait anyway, and keep in mind that money is a renewable resource, hopefully.

I see the sparkle from light bouncing off those glass beadsâ¦I bet that chandy is stunning at night.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

AK, I love the first one Magdalena Lee posted yesterday at 19:09. To me it gives off the right feeling of clean lines and simplicity your room needs. Some of the others are a bit too feminine and busy IMO. But I also would vote for waiting until more of the room is built out before committing to anything.

The Oslo chandy is stunning, and Tibb is right, it would be beautiful at night with other light reflecting off it, but understand the price!

• User
    9 years ago

outside, that is a truly hefty price, isn't it? A shame. But the uniqueness of it, one-of-a-kind thing it's got going on could make the price worthwhile, IMO, IF one has the money. I think items that one expects to have for years and which are basic to a house are worth spending money on. The rest, go to CL and Ikea. Lol.

I do think the Oslo is a chandy that is going to command a lot of attention. There's something about itâ¦and I suspect that is the reason for the price.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn you Tib! ;). Now I want the expensive chandelier!!! Lol

If it's the one, then I will work on making it happen.

• User
    9 years ago

I know. Sorry. I want it now too. I think it's almost the perfect chandelier.

• User
    9 years ago

Here it is for $330 less

Here is a link that might be useful: Oslo Large Chandelier

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just found a photo of it hanging. I'm thinking it might be too dressy for my room. It is beautiful beyond words though!!!

• User
    9 years ago

geez, one reason I like it is because it's less dressy than the others.

Lol.

Onward and upward!

• User
    9 years ago

Something more rustic?

• User
    9 years ago

Or this?

• beachlily z9a
    9 years ago

With the lights on, that Oslo chandy looks to have octopus arms. Amazing!!

• User
    9 years ago

Two-tier

• User
    9 years ago

I was going to say I see an octopus too! With tentacles no less! Now you can save yourself $$$.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still confused as to what that room needs. I should know in a month when all is done. Fingers crossed it's a month!

• User
    9 years ago

Well, it's safe to assume it won't need an octopus hanging from the ceiling, so that's a good thing!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love Tib's "something more rustic."

On the tentacle light, are all those little "suckers" individual lights, or just little bumps that the light flows through?

• User
    9 years ago

For the price, they must be individual.

You know, they lit up the arms on the Octopus at the carnival....

• User
    9 years ago

I like the Seagull 48 inch one posted at 1918

• voila
    9 years ago

Just throwing this out there. I don't know what other lighting fixtures you have chosen, but you may want the same flow between them. Are they clean lined like your aesthetic? Here is a 43 1/2 inch wide Hubbardton Forge chandelier that seems interesting and different. The candles are simple and the metal comes in a choice of finishes. It also has matching sconces with one or two candles. Sorry, I pasted the sconce atop part of the chandy. Not cheap, but I would save up to get something unique that not everyone and his brother has, IYKWIM.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a photo of the three pendants that will be hanging over the 12 foot island. They are bigger than they look in the photo.

{{gwi:2138917}}

The chandelier for the dining room.
    {{gwi:2138918}}

The entry light.

This one is up for debate. However, it really is beautiful. I might refinish it to make it more bronze.

{{gwi:2138919}}

I have added a link to t
    My kitchen inspiration pic is attached. I am using white cabs and a stained island. However, the layout and ceiling will be the same. There will be no fireplace, just a wall of windows.

So, thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Link to inspiration kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/las-lomas-residence-contemporary-kitchen-austin-phvw-vp~1764361)

• User
    9 years ago

Does the entry light come in finishes other than chrome?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No Tib. It was super affordable and would be easy to paint. What color should I paint it?

• User
    9 years ago

An aged bronze, maybe?

• User
    9 years ago

Btw, I really like the idea of a fairly contemporary (but with traditional features) light mixed in there. I think it'll look great.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tib!!