SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whippersnapper78

Sugar cane mulch drying out garden?

whippersnapper78
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Frequent reader, first time poster...

Our soil in Melbourne's SE suburbs is dry grey sand. After a year of using woodchip mulch in the garden, I noticed that at the bottom of the mulch, where it was decomposing, the soil was improving and there were some worms. I wanted to encourage and accelerate this process so bought some sugar cane mulch from Bunnings as I'd read that these straw-like mulches decompose faster, which I thought would be better for the soil improvement.

I must have made a mistake somewhere along the way because the sugar cane mulch isn't 'working' as expected. It seems to form an impermeable mat when I water and the soil underneath remains bone dry. For example, yesterday I was watering an area of about 3-4sqm with the hose on 'shower' for around 5 minutes. Afterwards I drew back the mulch to see how much had soaked through and the soil was dry as if no water had penetrated at all. Even the middle layers of the mulch were dry. I don't know where the water actually went...

I think I may have started too thick - the mulch layer was initially 7-10cm thick. I've since reduced that to around 2cm but the results are the same. Have I misunderstood how to mulch? Will the sugar cane not decompose that fast? Is it one of those that needs to stay wet to not become water repellant?

Help please, much appreciated!
W

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions