SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

island/oven confusion- input desperately needed!

Melissa Kroger
9 years ago

Hello one and al!. I am completely confused about how to configure my island so that it functions well and looks good.
Some background: we remodeled our kitchen 12 years ago and the layout has worked well for the most part. Because my locally finished cabinets (California) are falling apart, we have decided to do this one more time and (hopefully) do a better job. During the last remodel I was talked out of stacked cabinets, soapstone, and a prep sink. This time I am trying to stick to my guns. I have chosen Greenfield cabinets (stacked white, with dark gray island) and will likely go with soapstone on perimeter and white quartzite on island. The other thing I was talked out of was a third oven- we have a 48" range and will replace with the new Miele 48" range, but I still want a third oven. A mw drawer was planned for the island, but if I move it under the wall oven, I could get a prep sink in the island. Lastly, my island could be extended towards the sink wall, but it the eating (table height) area would have to come in to allow for a wall, so it would be asymmetrical. My kd says the island should be narrower than it currently is and should be all one level. She thinks a wide L will look weird. At this point I have no clue...
I am wondering:
1. Is a prep sink necessary/feasible?
2. What is the best solution for the island shape and size?
3. Would a third (24" Gagg) oven be ridiculous in a kitchen this size?
4. If I do the wall oven, would a mw drawer underneath look terrible?
Thanks for any and all

current layout:
{{gwi:2138140}}

Proposed new fridge wall which is 10" longer than before:{{gwi:2138141}}

View of current island:{{gwi:2138142}}

You can see where the wall requires island to be narrower:{{gwi:2138143}}

Comments (18)