SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meggswife_gw

'Large family' appliances - input needed

meggswife
13 years ago

Hello!

We are embarking on our third (and hopefully final) kitchen remodel (though it is quite addictive)! We moved last year to our "dream property" and plan on staying put.

We have a large family (11) so we cook a lot on a daily basis. The kitchen is currently set up with a 30" electric cooktop in the island and a 27" wall oven; both are pretty inadequate.

Here are the options we're looking at:

1: Gas cooktop or rangetop with double ovens (We will be switching to LP - natural gas in not an option due to our rural location.)

2: Range plus single 30" wall oven

3: Nicer range, maintain current wall oven and switch out to nicer one down the road.

Additionally, I'm trying to decide 30"or 36" cooktop/rangetop/range. I was set on a 36" (we could certainly use the space), however they all seem to come with five burners. When using the middle burner, the other burners don't seem as usable. We use large pots and pans and I need to be able to use at least 2 at a time.

Wall ovens: we were looking at buying a Kenmore Elite wall oven. Sears' 50% off wall oven sale is coming up on the 10th (hence the need for quick input). I've read that double ovens are often less reliable than single wall ovens. That is what started me down the range/single wall oven path.

I've fallen for the Fratelli Onofri range. If we go the range route, that's what I would like. (Can it go in an island?)

One more thing, if you vent a downdraft to the outside, is it nearly as effective as a vent hood?

I hope this isn't too convoluted...

Thank you for your time!

Stacie

Comments (9)