SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

Bye-bye 50s vintage bath, you failed me and now we must part!

polly929
9 years ago

A little backstory: DH and I bought our 1900s home in 2007. It was a real fixer upper and we have been trying to restore it to its former glory since we moved in. The home was "updated" in the '50s and many of the original details were removed or covered up with paneling throughout and red shag rugs. We bought the home from an estate. It has been a true labor of love.

The one thing I WAS grateful for was the 1950s vintage bathroom. I loved it! The tile was in great condition, just needed new grout and it was gray. The cast iron tub was a little small for my taste and had rust stains, I had it re-glazed when me moved in and the small tub was perfect for bathing my toddlers, they were 3 and 1 at the time. It had a separate shower stall, which I loved.....until we discovered the leak. The shower pan had been leaking and one morning while drinking my coffee at my kitchen island (renovated the first year we moved in) I noticed the bubble. Oh no!!! Hubs tried to salvage but, destroyed the tile when looking for where the leak was coming from. It was impossible to save it. That was last May, and we have been using a temporary shower set up in the tub since.

Today the demo started for a new bathroom. Here is a pic I took last night after DH removed the porcelain sink which is being relocated to our basement bathroom. I will keep you posted on the progress of the new bath, it is all DIY by DH. I'm hoping (praying) for a spring completion.
Wish me luck on that ;)

Comments (90)