Christmas

emma

How many of you are spending it alone? Compared to 33 Christmases with his kids before my husband died I like to spend mine alone or maybe with Sean Connery. I have a friend who feels so sorry for me and asks me to go with her to her son's and she just does not understand...........I don't want to! She brings me a dinner which I don't eat, especially the chicken and noodles. Ugh! I do not tell her I toss it.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eclair

I understand. I'd rather be home alone, too. How do you get out of going with your friend? Do you tell her you just don't want to go, or do you make up some excuse?

Save    
emma

On Thanksgiving she said she wouldn't take no for Christmas, but I told her no then and she just laughed. She must have realized I did not want to. It is very hard for me to say "I do not want to go". She did not call and if she had brought me dinner I would not have answered the door. I had my blinds closed which I normally don't do. I hate to feel like a charity case and that is how she made me feel. I am normally not a liar but if she had called I would have made up an excuse.

I think I am a social recluse. I do get out for shopping and to browse when I get cabin fever, so I am not a total recluse. I also take road trips. Would love to find someone that like to do that.

Save    
marylmi

The first year after my husband passed away I just wanted to be home by myself and it just felt right for me. Since then I have been going out to eat on holidays. This year there was three of us, all widows. One lady said at first she would most likely stay home & I didn't push her but the day before Christmas she called and wanted to go out with us.She thanked me for thinking of her (her husband died this past summer) and said she enjoyed it. Emma, why don't you ask your friend sometime to go out to eat other than a holiday? Just a thought as maybe she is lonely too.

Save    
emma

She has a husband and family and I have invited to eat out with me. I think she would enjoy it, but she never goes.

Save    
eclair

EmmaR, you and I have similar lives.

Save    
emma

I had never been free of responsibility in my life until my husband died. It was so nice to go where I pleased, eat when I wanted and buy a new blouse without someone looking over my shoulder. I've traveled extensively to Kenya, Botswana, Peruvian Rainforest, Alaska, Panama Canal, on and on, but now I am in a rut. I still do road trips occasionally, but can't do nature walks anymore. Sorry, I am having a pity party here. I need a cat. LOL

Save    
christine1950

Emma, I'm a little late reading your post but you could be describing my friend & her husband. I was never married (my choice) nor ever had kids so i have no family & when my friend says "but we are your family" I want to scream at her, they would not take no for an answer on Thanksgiving and they left me no choice but to lie (I hate liars by the way) on Thanksgiving morning I told her I was laid up in bed with my bad back. I had a wonderful day with my pets and made a delicious turkey & all the trimmings. She didnt even ask me about Christmas, I think she got the hint finally LOL...

Save    
emma

Christine, I think it is hard for people with family to understand that we had rather be alone. By the time I was 60 years old I was going through major burn out regarding cooking, cleaning and putting everyone in the family before me. Now I am free to do what I want for the first time in my life. I haven't cooked a real meal since my husband went into a care home, except breakfast a couple of times a week.

Save    

Related Stories

Most Popular Houzz Call: Show Us Your Christmas Tree!
How lovely are your branches? Post a picture and share your stories
Full Story
Christmas Houzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
Most Popular Christmas Cleanup Tips for the Not Naturally Organized
Dreading the postholiday chores? First let yourself unwind. Then grab some boxes, a few supplies and this easy guide
Full Story
Christmas Collecting Christmas Ornaments That Speak to the Heart
Crafted by hand, bought on vacation or even dug out of the discount bin, ornaments can make for a special holiday tradition
Full Story
Life Surviving the Christmas Countdown: A Parent's Guide
Make things easier on yourself, for heaven's sake — and for the sake of truly enjoying the holiday with your family
Full Story
Christmas Homes Around the World Wish You a Merry Christmas
Share in the Yuletide cheer of homes sporting their holiday finest, from Amsterdam to the U.S. West Coast
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: Show Us Your Christmas Tablescape
Do you bring out the good silver, candles, berries and greens for your holiday table? If so, we'd like to see it
Full Story
Decorating Guides Have a Festive, Sun-Drenched White Christmas
If you live in a warm climate, you can still celebrate the holiday with dazzling decor. Here are 6 ways to make things merry and bright
Full Story
Christmas 10 Ways Your Christmas Tree Can Live On After the Holidays
Learn how to recycle your Christmas tree and reap benefits for the environment
Full Story
NOVA Kitchen, Bath & Basement believes trust is based on honesty and communication and results are based on skill... Read More
The Mission of USA Cabinet Store and Design Center is to provide the best customer service, the highest quality... Read More