SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What would Christmas be without a tree fiasco - a Christmas tale

3katz4me
2 years ago

I've had four in my life, two in the last four years, all with real trees of course. When I was a kid we always had a real tree - only one fiasco that I recall. My cousin and I were doing gymnastics too close to the tree and knocked it over. I remember her family felt so bad about it that they sent us new ornaments for the tree. The next one after that was a few years after we got married - the cats knocked the tree over and water spilled all over the wood floor. Now I don't know that I recall actually seeing them do it. I think we came home from work and it was laying on the floor and we blamed the cats. I don't think we were there when they did it because I was concerned about how long water had been sitting on the floor.

Fast forward and we switched to fake trees for quite a few years - no real fiascos just the PITA of assembling it. We switched to fake because DH would be on long international trips and not home at the time we needed to get a real tree. So I would just have him haul the box up to the living room before he left town and I'd assemble while he was gone. Then we went many years without a tree - parents passed, no Christmas events at our house and very busy with work/travel.

Then when we moved six years ago our realtor had a Christmas event where you donated a toy for kids and got a free tree. The first year we got a wreath instead but the second year we decided to get a tree and haul it to our lake cabin. We had a tree decorating party with our neighbors and had it up for one week while we were there over the holidays. Year one - no problem. Year two - another fun time decorating the tree and when we were done we had cocktails and sat admiring our work. All of a sudden - TIMBER - the tree slowly tipped out into the living room and crashed to the ground. We all just watched it fall in stunned amazement. Water on the carpet this time - sopped it up with towels and neighbor ran home to get a box fan. We put the tree back up and for some reason it stayed up for the duration.

Well after that I bought myself a Krinner tree stand - no more PITA getting it in the stand straight and no more tipping! Last year we bought a beautiful eight foot fraser fir - no problem - the tree lasted four weeks and the needles were still "like new". This year we went to the same tree farm and got another beautiful 8 1/2 foot fraser fir - the nicest tree we've ever had. They shake it, bale it, and make a fresh cut - only this year they didn't make the fresh cut because I guess we had to ask for that. Of course I didn't realize this until the tree was up and all set and it hadn't sucked up any water in a day. Last year I had to refill the reservoir by day two.

OMG - this thing isn't going to last until Christmas if it's not getting any water! We tried drilling some holes in the side of it - hoping it would suck in some water - NO. So today I undecorated the tree, laid a giant sheet of thick plastic over my living room rug and DH pulled the thing out of the stand and, with the usual difficulty, cut an inch off the bottom. Back up it went (in the super duper stand) and I repeated the decorating process. I still can't believe I did this but I decided it had to be done or I would be having a continuous anxiety attack about the needles falling off before Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH