Singles discrimination.

eclair

Events where the singles price is not half the couples price.

Family size packaging is quite common. Why not singles size packaging at the proportionately reduced cost?

I know of only one grocery store's deli that will sell a half loaf of bread.

Flat-rate water systems. Singles pay the same as households of five, for example.

I'm pretty tired of it.

That's all.

SaveComment14Like1
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

I hate the "Buy One, Get One Free" pricing. Do we really need two bags of potato chips?

2 Likes Save    
eclair

If it's something that will keep, BOGO is a great deal, and not actually discriminatory.

Save    
sushipup1

Keep for how long? I only buy chips twice a year!

Save    
christine1950

sushipup, you could always donate the second item to a food pantry.

Save    
sushipup1

I give the Food Bank a cash donation on a regular basis. I just think that the BOGO offers are often a PITA, or a waste.

1 Like Save    
lee676

It costs more to sell small packages of food (adjusted for size) than large packages. It costs more to convince five people who don't know each other to attend an event, or go to a restaurant, or most other things, than to convince a family or any group of four or five to go to a restaurant together. That's not discrimination, that's simple economics.

I'm single, but I live with a few roommates. That cuts most of my utility bills, not to mention rent or mortgage, to 1/3 or 1/4 of what it would be if I lived alone. Side benefit: there's usually people around to talk to, and we meet each other's friends and get loans easily because our "household income" is relatively high and save money and time and effort by living together. Only one of us has to cook for the night. There's enough people around to eat that second bag of potato chips before they spoil. I recommend not living alone to everybody, and you don't need to be in a relationship to do it.

1 Like Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

At one grocery store in my area (Giant Eagle) if an item is BOGO you can purchase one and it rings up at half price. At another store (Tops) the first one rings at full price and the second one rings at 00.00.It depends on how their system is set up.

Save    
tibbrix

Taxes are very discriminatory toward singles.

Couples are discriminatory. They only invite other couples to dinner parties, etc.

I also know people who are jealous because I'm single. People always romanticize the other side of the fence.

3 Likes Save    
dandyrandylou

When I was first widowed one of my closest friends advised she could not invite me to her dinner party as I would make the seating uneven. Needless to say, we are no longer friends.

1 Like Save    
bungalowmo

Wow, Pink!! That is screwed up! Just sayin! I know recently, at the ripe age of 57, I sent a friend packing. I've known her since the first day of 8th grade. I finally tired of her attitude. Always acting like I'm some sort of pet project for her to "correct" or "teach".

Got no time for it any more.

Save    
dandyrandylou

Understand.

Save    
Pea

The bread thing...it just means i can buy the smaller tastier bread that tend to come in a smaller loaf...being single gets me a tastier sandwich.

I understand that a grocery item can not be proportional less in price because there is a minimum price it costs to package an item, the amount in the package then adds on to that. So say it costs $1.00 to package that mayo, the larger jar is say $3 and the smaller by half is $2. You say but it is half as much, it should be half the cost, but there is that $1 packaging cost to account for.

Save    
twilliams115

I live by myself. It seems like I can't buy things small enough, and then it spoils. Other than groceries I feel discriminated a lot. I really feel that way when I go to church. And also at where I live, the condo complex, it seems like it's all couples.

Save    
bleusblue2

It depends on where you live -- I live in a city neighbourhood with several small grocery stores. I actually do buy two apples at a time. I am out every day so it's easy to pass buy and pick something up. I don't understand why you feel discriminated against in Church or even in your condo. Many people live alone but I don't expect my neighbours to echo my own life.

Save    

Related Stories

Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Traditional Meets Transitional in a Townhouse
A Southern California couple downsizes, and their designer helps them push past traditional boundaries
Full Story
Outbuildings Design Workshop: Is an In-Law Unit Right for Your Property?
ADUs can alleviate suburban sprawl, add rental income for homeowners, create affordable housing and much more
Full Story
Most Popular 28 Great Homes Smaller Than 1,000 Square Feet
See how the right layout, furniture and mind-set can lead to comfortable living in any size of home
Full Story
Most Popular Clutter vs. Keepers: A Guide to New Year's Purging
Simple questions to get in touch with your clutter comfort level — and figure out what needs to go
Full Story
White Kitchens Kitchen of the Week: Cooking for Two in Ontario
Three small rooms become one large kitchen, so an Ottawa couple can cook side by side and entertain
Full Story
Gardening Guides Summer Crops: How to Grow Squash
Almost foolproof and with cheerful flowers, squash comes in a wide range of varieties to plant in spring
Full Story
Most Popular How to Stage Your Kitchen for a Home Sale
Attract buyers with a kitchen that’s clean, bright and welcoming — no expensive overhaul required
Full Story
Houzz Call Houzz Call: Show Us Your 8-by-5-Foot Bathroom Remodel
Got a standard-size bathroom you recently fixed up? We want to see it!
Full Story
Design for Good 15 Ways to Make Your Neighborhood Better
Does your community lack ... well, a sense of community? Here's how to strengthen that neighborly spirit
Full Story
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More