SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephz82

Laminate counters - can you cut the edge?

stephz82
9 years ago

Hi all, I'm planning on doing a DIY kitchen facelift in the coming months. One of the projects I'm interested in tackling is relaminating our dated-looking but otherwise in good condition laminate countertops.

Our counters are just straight lengths, but the edge is rounded - a demi-bullnose - and I know I'm not going to be able to do apply the laminate myself on a curved edge like that, and I also don't like the look of it. It also has a backsplash, which I feel looks dated.

I'm wondering if the backsplash can be cut off at counter level (I would install a tile backsplash instead) and if the demi-bullnose edge can be cut to be a straight edge? I wouldn't trust myself to do the cutting, I would hire that out, but if it can be done it would make the relaminating much more DIYable.

(I know that if this work can be done that it'll probably be more work than just replacing the countertops, but I don't want to pull out a perfectly good countertop only for it to end up in a landfill. Many of the donation centers in the area have too many countertops as it is, so they're not accepting any more.)

Comments (19)