SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeana_gw

Vent pipe damaged by a nail

deeana
9 years ago

Dear group,
Please help!

We have moved into our house in September of 2014. I had always smelled a faint sewer odor next to our kitchen, which has a bathroom in the back of it. A few weeks ago during a heavy rainy day, the smell was so strong, even my husband got upset. We opened up some portions of the wall, because ALL the connecting walls have that stench that comes through out of the sockets. Some days are worse than others (like rainy days are extra stenchy.) A few days ago he performed a "smoke test" which showed "smoking" out of one section of the wall. When we opened the wall we SAW A NAIL sticking out of the vent pipe. Explains it all! I'm not crazy. We are having that "elbow" replaced in the vent pipe.

BUT, my problem is, it has been smelling up that section for probably close to 30 years. I am afraid that even once the elbow is replaced, it will still continue to smell for a very long time in the actual walls. Is there something that anyone can recommend? The entire kitchen is a horror smell for me. Should more piping be replaced? Should the walls be knocked down and replaced?

All opinions welcome. Thank you!

Comments (8)