SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laremodel_gw

Wood-flooring vs tile in home with dog

LARemodel
9 years ago

I'm remodeling my 2-story condo and replacing flooring. I have a small, older dog, who has "accidents" and I'm wondering whether to create a designated "pet-friendly" space for him in the house.

I have a small deck for him outside but he prefers being in the house with us, rain or shine. He has "accidents" in the house, especially lately since he had bladder surgery for stones. Also, he is epileptic and when he has a seizure he loses control of his bodily functions. (We are working to control the seizures with medication.)

The downstairs, main level, is on a slab. The flooring is a mix of porcelain tile (kitchen, entry, family room, and powder room) and floating, engineered wood (dining room and living room). My designer recommended that I extend the wood throughout the house (except for powder room and small area at foyer). The engineered wood that I used has been discontinued.

I am considering solid wood flooring. This means adding a subfloor on top of the slab, which will raise the wood floor higher than the current tile floor in the kitchen. So, the transition between tile and wood will be awkward. And that's why I would need to change kitchen to wood. The kitchen opens to the family room, so will look best if they are both wood or both tile.

Any ideas on how to create a designated pet-friendly area?

Comments (15)