SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jarraa

Yet another Stages 45 install + questions

jarraa
9 years ago

Just wanted to share our install on the sink as it is somewhat unique.
We never had enough room for a 36 inch cab + 12 inch cab for the sink. Our kitchen was way too small at 11'x11' ... but I persisted. Worse yet - the prep shelf had to go over a dishwasher. will2kz was the only one I know of who did it and he used a 36 inch cab and raised his base cabinet height to 35.5 inches

My wife thought I was insane ...when the GC said the only way this would work would be if we would raise the cabinet heights an inch (just like will2kz). A sleepless night later I gave him the go ahead. Needless to say both her and the GC were unhappy. I must admit that even I was concerned about the height of the counters.

Details of install:
1) 33 1/2 inch cabinet for the main part of the sink.
2) The prep side sits on top of a bosch paneled dishwasher- 1/4 inch room to spare.
3) 35 1/2 inch cabinet height.
3) Waterstone 5500 (extended reach) faucet for the whole sink - works like a charm for two users in the sink at the same time.
4) Blanco Solon inset to the left (utilizing the hard to reach end of a blind corner) makes this an amazingly efficient prepping station (We compost a lot as city has a compost program).

We got to move into the kitchen at 4pm and the wife started cooking at 6pm. When we sat down for dinner at 8 pm she leaned over, kissed me and said she loved the sink and was glad I persisted!

It's an amazing food preping/processing station! We have cooked so much in the last 72 hours and spend a quarter of the time in the kitchen cleaning up!

About the counter heights - I was really concerned - I am 5'6" and she is 5'8" and I actually like the 35.5 inch counters quite a bit. Things are closer in the sink to reach to, and the chopping board feels like a very comfortable height. Same with the rest of the counters around.

Now onto a few questions for the owners/users of the sink, if you may.

1) Does your prep side of the sink drain quickly? Our's doesn't and sometimes there is still a small puddle left.

2) I was goofing around and somehow put the wife's cooling rack on the rail system - makes for a great drying rack. You can actually slide it to the other side of the sink with stuff on it if suddenly need to use the prep side of the sink and then slide it back. Anyone done this or something similar as a drying rack?

Thanks for all your help and advice.
-Assad

p.s> Ignore the cabinet front's missing and the dishwasher not entirely in the cavity (having a cable protruding issue in the back going on) ...we are not done yet -but after 3 months of no kitchen - we just wanted to get back to living in our whole house :)

This post was edited by jarraa on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 23:27

Comment (1)