SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardmomma

Science of Roof insulation: what does frost tells us?

backyardmomma
9 years ago

Our area (central Oklahoma) experienced a frost this morning and on my morning commute I saw the frost behave differently on different roofs. ( All on west side before the sun had a chance to hit it). I liive in an area of new development where most houses are less than 20years old, all of them asphalt type shingles. Some houses had frost collect or show up on only very narrow vertical strips that I would guess where where the roof rafters lay below it. Some houses had what appeared to be the opposite. Frost collected in wider vertical stripes and not on narrow strips of where rafters lay below. A third example was on a much older and poorly maintained home and it did not have frost except on porch or where the roof overhanged from house. My uneducated guess is that the heat loss from the living space under the roof was so rapid that frost wasn't allowed to collect? But that is just a guess. I realize this is a really strange/ dumb question but can anyone explain why frost "behaved" differently on the roofs that were all just a few blocks apart? Is this what is referred to as thermal bridging? I'm just beginning in the design phase of a modest size custom house and trying to understand the science behind insulation so I can make informed decisions! Been reading this forum for a while and it has already helped me! Thank you!
Christina

Comments (10)