SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macvirtualasst

Downsizing by buying cheaper land and building a smaller home?

macvirtualasst
9 years ago

Hi,

I am very interested to hear stories/tips/advice from any of you who have downsized by a) buying a cheaper parcel of land than what you originally had and b) building a smaller home. I know building material prices have skyrocketed, so is this type of downsizing just a dream? Can it be done? We built a home a few years ago, I paid premium for the land and made building mistakes which I know enough to avoid now. Will I lose more money than I can gain by doing this? Is staying put cheaper? It's an ongoing discussion in my family and I am interested in your thoughts, especially if you have done this. I realize much of this theory has to do with where you are leaving and where you are going. In our case we would be going to a place where any home built would most likely do very well on the resale market. What else do I need to know and is there a professional type of analyst who could drill the numbers down for me? PS We would be moving to another state where there is no state income tax. Where we currently live we have state income tax AND HOA fee's. I would like to live where there are no HOA fees.

This post was edited by macvirtualasst on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 14:36

Comments (12)