Gilbertson PVC Bluebird Nest Box

Lacomo

Have any of you used a Gilbertson PVC Bluebird Nest Box? From what I can find on the internet they are supposed to be about the best you can get, I have never seen any of them for sale except on the internet and the are kind of high priced. I know I can build them for less and I'm thinking about building some to use and also some to sell on ebay.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josephene_gw

Instructions are on gilbertsonspvcnestingboxes

Save    
Michael

I'm building three modified versions this week

Save    
lola601

Brushworks - do you or would you sell them? I would like to have one.

Save    
Susan Mitchell

My bluebirds love these pvc nestboxes. Every time I put up a new one they might be already nesting but they check out the new pvc. They do nest most of the time in a new box if they find one like the one they left. I have 4 of these pvc and have had a lot of bluebirds pairs checking it out. I just don’t know what it is about these boxes but I will tell you they love them.

Save    
Susan Mitchell

Be careful. The ones on Cardinal Corner and over places are made by someone or people and the one I got from Cardinal corner the person didn’t make the roof overhang as long as it was supposed to be. They cut off of the roof to save on money. I know I have 3 more I got when Gilbertson was still selling them. I will use the short roof one as a spare but won’t order anymore. It’s all about making money not the bluebirds.

Save    
HU-697280164

I make my own using 8 inch plastic pipe about 12 inches long. I cut out a bottom from 1 inch thick pine, drill holes in the wood as a drain, then staple a wire basket to the wood bottom out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth. The top can be tricky to attach, and I am still experimenting with different ways of doing this. Sometimes I use roofing shingles and sometimes I cut up soft drink cans to make my own shingles. I make the opening oval shaped (seems to be most effective) I have been using these boxes for almost 20 years and have had great success with them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Wild Birds Transform a Woman’s Garden and Life
How Sharon Sorenson created a wildlife haven and became the Bird Lady of Southern Indiana
Full Story
Outdoor Projects Bring In the Birds With a Homemade Bubble Rock
An avian expert from Southern Indiana shows how to make a burbling fountain that migrating birds will love
Full Story