SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowstormontario

My First Hoya Adventure

SnowStorm
9 years ago

Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking here, reading all your amazing hoya advice and banter. This is my first post - go easy on me :P

I'm rather new to gardening in general. I only took interest last spring when I tore out an overgrown garden in the back of my parents property and started something new.

When winter came, I was not content with packing in my hobby. Among other things, I decided to take a clipping from my Mom's hoya carnosa. It came with my parents house; the thing must be at least 30 years old. Unfortunately because it's so large, it cannot sit anywhere near a window. While it appears to be thriving in its lower light condition, it predictably is not blooming.

I took the clipping in November. The clipping consisted of five leaves and two sets of nodes. I cut off the bottom two leaves, dabbed on some root hormone, and placed the clipping about 2.5 inches down into a pot of run-of-the-mill potting soil.

Two months later my little hoya is coming on strong! :)

This is my setup. It currently includes a couple stow away Chinese lanterns for the winter, and a backup clipping I had placed in water. (I've been too lazy to plant it...it might be doomed when I put it in soil.)

{{gwi:2126427}}

I have three 20w florescent lights and a traditional 40w light bulb off to the side. I leave these lights on for 10-12 hours a day. There is also an East facing window that lets in some nice early morning light.

{{gwi:2126428}}

The top two leaves are 100% new since I potted the clipping.

When I first potted it, I watered it every other day for a couple weeks. Then every three days. And for the past three weeks, only once a week.

I also have been misting it regularly. For the first month while the roots were small, I misted it 2-3 times a day. Now I mist it only once daily.

{{gwi:2126429}}

Already it has another couple of leaves getting ready to take shape. But interestingly, there is a purple node on it that has been there for nearly 6 weeks. It appeared even before the new leaf growth. I like to daydream and think it might be the beginnings of a spur where flowers will bloom from, but I unfortunately know how many years it can take an H. carnosa to first bloom.

Even so, I have once fed it some 10-15-10. I plan on feeding it twice more on three week intervals. Then I will intermittently feed it during the summer and fall.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post! I guess there is no real point to it. I'm interested to know your thoughts on my technique and on that node :)

Comments (15)

Sponsored